Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I LOVE THIS SITE, BUT WHAT IS HAPPENING?    

I LOVE THIS SITE, BUT WHAT IS HAPPENING?

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

I LOVE THIS SITE, BUT WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Since i discovered this site i have learnt so much that i would never be tired of thanking all of you, but i have seen that there is some kind of strange mood among some members and i mean like rage, or envy, frustation... well i don �t even know how to put it but it �s sure harming the good spirit of this place. I think that as there are moderators or people helping filtrate the ws that do not stick to the rules, Victor shoul look for a way to have people cheking the forums messages. I mean with these that the messages should go to a page where moderators can check if the messages sticks to the topics category we have, like ask for help, make suggestions, concerning ws, pw, online exercises, ETC.. before going public so those whose clear meaning is to start an issue, offend or ignite the fire can be erased. I still dont understand is why if we are all adults and teachers  here, we have to make public and offend others with things that could be easily talked and addressed in private.   WHAT DO YOU THINK? 

24 Nov 2009      

Samantha.esl
Italy

You sound very concerned to have started a new thread in the name of asking to filter some messages and in fact adding some more wood to the fire.
I think, It �s true that if you disagree with someone in something.. it would be a good idea to send the person a private message instead of posting something where everyone comes to judge and hurt you. (and all in the name of justice... ha!).
I also consider that if you are judged and critized in public the person also has the right to defend herslef! Or would you leave someone saying all kind of things of you in public and not say anything!.. I doubt it.

24 Nov 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

No samantha, you are right, you have the right to deffend if someone hurts you in public as you say, that is why im proposing to not let people who use the forum for those kind of comments to reach others through the forums and stop their messages before reaching the public.

24 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Liz,
I understand your feelings but I don �t agree with you. That is censorship what you write about and that �s a domain of some (especially communist) politics.
Luckily most of us live in democratic countries and we all have the right to speak our minds out freely.
As I remeber communist dictatorship in my country I don �t agree with you at all. But it �s just MY opinion.
Michaela

24 Nov 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Interesting topic Liz...

Some messages from time-wasting, forum space-taking morons who have never taught a student in their lives should definitelt be checked and deleted. These "members" just have nothing to do, and there are kind souls on this forum, who actually spend time on explaining to them that �s not quite right, I can picture a tired teacher with glasses and a cuppa in hand, typing away on the key-board while a pile of homeworks/tests are there to be checked... and I can picture a couple of spotty youths giggling behind their own key-board, stealing worksheets, starting stupid provoking threads shouting back to parents that they are doing homework.

However, having moderators moderating messages in need of moderation means someone has to be doing this 24/7/365. For free.

Envy, rage and frustration are usual components in a human �s life, frustration and rage in particular are regular guests in a teacher �s life...Angry LOL  

We �re all humans, none is perfect, we �re all learning all the time... Being adults or teachers for that matter, does not mean that we are responsible, helpful and polite robots.

We �re growing. We �re making mistakes. We �re learning, correcting ourselves, apologising, forgiving others and we �re moving on.

There are so many different cultures and nationalities on the forum, too...
Some are cool and reserved, others are in your face and open. They will express their indignation loudly, but then they will also loudly offer their help and loudly defend others.

It �s difficult to say "sorry", but we �re doing it, we �re trying. I think we all need a little more patience: patience within ourselves and patience with each other.

It �s easy to be snappy, especially when you �re thousand miles away and no other teacher has seen your face. That is easy. Hiding behind the laptops and firing away insults...

Patience is what we should work on.

And also: the glass is half full, not half empty.

Let �s look at facts:
we got ourselves a fantastic forum with experienced and helpful members, easy layout, 30 free downloads daily, the best and indeed the most patient admin in the world, hard-working moderators who are spending their own time clearing the forum, an unbelievable amount of worksheets, ppts and online exercise.

I think rather than advising Victor to "hire" more helpers we should do our best first. I �m going to start with myself: I used to be a moderator and helped other moderators, then I became a bit overwhelmed by the amount of stolen worksheets, but now I will go back and continue helping them a little every day.

These are my 2 cents anyway.

24 Nov 2009     

Nessie33
Germany

Dear Michaela, Iam not sure that you "ve   understood what LIZANTIAGO meant!  "proposing to not let people who use the forum for those kind of comments to reach others through the forums and stop their messages"        It means not to make this tEACHER"S forum  a place of  open hate.... It seems like some people are only waiting here of an INTERESTING situation  to be the first to begin their attack.      Love and understanding - where are they?Heart 

24 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Nessie,
I did understand what she meant. And don �t agree. Nobody has the right to stop others fron saying what they want to say. We, and only we have to know if our comments are suitable. If some of us aren �t able to do it, it � s sad but people are different and so are their behaviour habits. And what should be the measure for such censorship? Sorry, I don �t have a better word for it.
I don �t agree with everything written on the forum but if I don �t like it I may either write an appropriately answer or just ignore it.
But as I said before, it �s my opinion and you have right for your own.
Regards, Michaela

24 Nov 2009     

Nessie33
Germany

Yes , Michaela and once more yes to what you are saying!  The point of CENSor from itself is not possible ( admissible) , but  the tone from all these discussions should be  more  quiet ,without  insulting , aggressiveness.... So it is my opinion.  More respect for each other , perhaps.  Smile

24 Nov 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

Michaela you are right in some things, but i dont mean to censorship all we have to say, what i think is that it should be monitor so that only the topics concerning to ESL PRINTABLES ARE ALLOWED, the forum is not a place to vent our problems or frustations, is a place to ask how can i teach better, how do i write o say this or that, where can i get  X or Z resource, how do i do this, and not to talk about if i like or not your name, avatar, or how bad or good u made your worksheets, if i like them or not... DO YOU GET WHAT I MEAN? for the past few weeks i have seen post talking about things that do not produce anything better for the site, like x moderator vote against my ws. today there was a post of someone who literally attack the other member because she tried to correct a mistake in her ws.... come on !!!! im talking about that... if you got to the market, you go and buy groceries you dont go to see a movie, then if the forum is to ask for help o talk about problems with your online exe, worksheet, or powerpoints, then is for that and nothing else, if  not then victor would have put a forum topic with the category of "vent your personal problems here"or maybe "insults to other members", if you read the categories, they are specific in terms of what we should address there. Is that censorship?

24 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

NO to censorship.....

people need to relax...and not take everything they read on the Internet so seriously.

if somebody calls me �crazy � or �dumb � on the net....how does that hurt me?

And if I choose to defend myself in a harsh way, how does it offend others?

My name doesn �t appear on this site....so it �s like one anonymous person arguing with another (and if you have your full name and pictures on this site, well, that comes with consequences)

We �re all adults here. I think we can handle it....and if we can �t, well it �s ver simple: just ignore that particular topic!!!

24 Nov 2009     

meuge
Argentina

Hi all!!
Lana and Babz.... you both have a point here... Thumbs Up

Cheers!!

24 Nov 2009