Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > solutions for silent students    

solutions for silent students

Robert Medisa
Chile

solutions for silent students

Hi . I �ve recently encountered a problem as below:
   " there �ve been some students who don �t tend to speak on their own and only answer if just they �re asked. Even worse, a few ones never take a risk speaking incorrectly and more I asked , less I recieved. their final answers is not to focus on us despite I let them has more freedom than other students or i haven �t ever put them under stress. I �ve applied many methods but they didn �t cut ice.

I �m eagerly looking forward to hearing from all dear colleagues.
                Best regards;
                    R.M.Confused

25 Nov 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

I would advise more pair work speaking activities. The student gets the opportunity to practice speaking with a partner and not singled out in front of their peers in a large classroom.
Also small group speaking activities (3-4 people).
When I was learning Swedish I hated speaking in front of a classroom of my peers. So I didn �t. When I was called on I became embarrassed and flustered and I felt like an idiot. Even the best teacher in the world could not have changed the way I felt about it. It can be very difficult for some people to speak in front of a large group.

Paired speaking activities work. Small group speaking activities work. Overall students get more valuable speaking practice when activities are structured in this way.
The tricky thing is actually for you as a teacher to get used to teaching in this way if you have been used to standing in front of a whole class and teaching them as one group.
You will need to pre plan and prepare speaking activities and then plan how you are going to manage your partner pairs and groups.
When confidence levels have risen, then incorporate more whole class sharing.

25 Nov 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Also, try to involve speaking activities where there are no right or wrong answers  For example, draw a stickman on the board and ask students about his life - what �s his name, how �s he feeling, what �s he wearing, what �s his job, etc.

Jane Arnold has some great ideas about introducing mental imagery into the class as well, for which there are often no "right" answers.  If you PM me, I �ll let you know some of her ideas.

T :)
views-from-the-whiteboard.blogspot.com

25 Nov 2009     

Le Minh Doanh
Vietnam

help me ! who know web which teaches intonation of sentenses ? thanks a lot

25 Nov 2009