Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A doubt    

A doubt

wolfy
Chile

A doubt

I am doing a sample TOEIC for my students and have a doubt over the following question:

158. When you show him your letters of recommendation, I �m sure he will not hesitant to give you the salary that you want.

Which of the underlined words are incorrect?

I have edited the test so it reads:

158. When you show him your letters of recommendation, I �m sure he should not hesitant to give you the salary that you want.

Because I couldn �t spot the error.  My attention is being drawn to C: "will not hesitate"  hence my edit.  Can you tell me if that �s right and why?

25 Nov 2009      

maoopa
China

The mistake is in hesitant. You should write hesitate.

When you show him your letters of recommendation, I �m sure he will not hesitate to give you the salary that you want.

Hesitant is an adjective, and you need to use a verb with the auxiliary will.

I hope this helps

Mauro

25 Nov 2009     

selenn
Turkey

yes hesitant should be replaced by hesitate which is a verb.

25 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

lol... I was staring at the sentence for a while too and couldn �t see the "error"..  yes, the "hesitant" should be hesitate. I think, it �s because our brains automatically see the "h-e-s..." and we think "oh, it �s hesitate..." when it isn �t. LOL

25 Nov 2009     

wolfy
Chile

wow thanks, I �m blind, I just automatically read hesitate.  

I �m a bit upset about this test in general.   I have a book with two tests, one at the begining and one at the end.  I assumed the second one would be easier (the publishers way of showing how great their book was)  But in fact it �s the opposite.  The second test is about 100 TOEIC points harder.  :(  - Meaning all my students will show little or no improvement.

25 Nov 2009