Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Talking about responsibilities    

Talking about responsibilities

Alina26
Romania

Talking about responsibilities

Hello, everyone!
Today I �ve debated on the topic of marriage as a lifetime responsibility with my 12th grade students (18-19 years old). I was stunned when they gave me replies such as: for me, marriage could be a part-time job or a leisure activity. One of them even regarded marriage as a hobby!!!! I was really shocked, but since there was a brain storming going on, I accepted all the ideas, letting them draw the conclusions at the end. Anyway, the discussion turned out to be quite an interesting one, and we reached different aspects of marriage such as: loyalty, respect, love on the one hand and violence on the other hand. Still, smth keeps bothering me, especially after today lesson: what will happen to our teenagers in the future since they tend to perceive things in such an irresponsible way? Maybe I �m being too harsh on them, but how can you be 18-19 years old and state that you �ll get involved in a relationship/ marriage just for fun?
I truly believe our teenagers nowadays lack the sense of responsibility/ maturity and respect. Unhappy

25 Nov 2009      

donapeter
Romania

God, I just envy you for the fact that you can debate a topic in the class!!!! If you think your students are superficial......please come to see my students!!!! 
On the other hand, I can see myself in those ideas, 10-15 years ago. Life has changed my ideas and I am sure the same will happen to them!!!
Good luck!!!
D

25 Nov 2009     

julianbr
Italy

hi Sinziana, I think it �s interesting how you associate marriage with responsibility and how you seem to dismiss anyone who doesn �t share your personal point of view as immature and lacking respect. It leaves me wondering why you debate with your students in the first place.

25 Nov 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I truly believe our teenagers nowadays lack the sense of responsibility/ maturity and respect. Unhappy
I TOTALLY agree since I teach them.
  However, we cannot generalise in this area.  I know  A LOT of teens who have both respect and maturity.  On the whole, the kids are more disrespectful mainly due to the influence of their music, movies and the times we live in. PEOPLE are becoming this way, not just the kids.
but how can you be 18-19 years old and state that you �ll get involved in a relationship/ marriage just for fun? 
It �s what they see all around them. Their heroes on TV and in the films do it.  Their parents do it. 
Julian, I think that is an unfair assumption on your part. If you read her post more carefully she is saying that the kids are disrespectful and immature PERIOD. It �s not because they disagree with her POV. 

25 Nov 2009     

julianbr
Italy

oh I see ..  well in that case I read it wrong .. I thought you (Sinz) were saying that because the students thought marriage wasnt as serious a subject as you do, it somehow means they are irrisponsible and lacking respect .. a view I can accept from most adults .. but one that seemed strange from a teacher .. of course it wasn �t what you meant at all ... so I apologise .. 

25 Nov 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Non only teenagers but people of my age 25-30, new lifestyle I guess.

25 Nov 2009