Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Christmas Vocabulary    

Christmas Vocabulary

Amandina
Switzerland

Christmas Vocabulary

Dear Teachers,
Do we say the Three Wise Men or the Three Holy Kings? And if both are used, which one is more common?
Thank you for your help!
Amandina

25 Nov 2009      

sabizach
India

Three Wise Men is more common.

25 Nov 2009     

Amandina
Switzerland

Thank you for your answer.

25 Nov 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

We don �t know that they were holy just that they were wise. 

25 Nov 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Amandina, I used to teach in a Catholic school and the nuns said "The wise men", I �ve never heard that they were "holy".
CiaoHug

25 Nov 2009     

serene
Greece

I think they are called the Three Kings or the Three Wise Men or the Magi.

25 Nov 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

Well, in Spanish we say " los tres reyes magos", which means that they were kings and magicians, nothing about holy or wise!!!!!

25 Nov 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

That �s so strange.. each language has a completely different idea about who these men were and what they were like. 

Is there any language that says they were rabbits? Because that would be cool... 

25 Nov 2009     

Amandina
Switzerland

I don �t think so. lol
But I guess I �ll call them the three wise men from now on. Seems to be the safest bet. Thanks to you all.

25 Nov 2009     

almaz
United Kingdom

In Scotland, they �ve always been The Three Wise Men (at least in the Protestant version) although I recall reading about them actually being Zoroastrian priests. Can anyone flesh this out?

25 Nov 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Downunder we generally refer to them as the Three Wise Men however the song calls them The Three Kings:  We Three Kings of Orient Are.

25 Nov 2009