Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The difference between under and below and on and above.    

The difference between under and below and on and above.

seni
Portugal

The difference between under and below and on and above.

Till last week it sounded really obvious to me but then I saw a poster about prepositions of place and it really became really confusing to me. 

Can I say:"The cat is below the chair"? I think not! but in this poster we could see a ball under a box but identifying  the preposition below.

Another picture of a ball under the box was given but with some free space between the two and identifying the preposition under.

Can anybody help me? Specially native speakers?

Thank you and have a good week!

25 Nov 2009      

Nannini
Portugal

Ol� seni.

Quanto � preposi��o ON e ABOVE, On tem de estar em contacto com algo, por exemplo THE PEN IS ON THE TABLE (est� pousada em cima dela) enquanto que THE LAMP IS ABOVE THE TABLE (o candeeiro est� POR CIMA da mesa, pois est� pendurado...).

Em rela��o a UNDER normalmente algo est� verticalmente por baixo (THE CAT IS UNDER THE TABLE) enquanto que BELOW pode indicar apenas uma posi��o mais baixa (DEATH VALLEY IS BELOW SEA LEVEL, -> est� ABAIXO do n�vel do mar)...

�Above � and �below � are usually used when the objects are non touching
here is an example:

eg: The fan is rotating above our head or we are sitting below the fan
espero ter ajudado:)

25 Nov 2009     

Nannini
Portugal

P.S. No poster as preposi��es est�o trocadas, porque esse mesmo espa�o que existe entre e bola e a caixa determina que algo est� BELOW!!!

25 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

"below" implies distance - and a lot... Not just a little bit like under.

I live in the flat below Peter.
He was below a fan.
They were sitting below the scoreboard.

25 Nov 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Personally I feel that below and under have nothing to do with distance, just the feeling or the emphasis of the viewer. 

Below is like saying "Lower than" opposite of above. "higher than" 
and under is like saying... well.. under... as in the opposite of over. 

So I would say they mean the same thing and are interchangeable depending on how you �re looking at it. 

Normally I think people would say the cat was under the table. 

"Under" is also used more often than "below" in informal speech, except in places where under just cannot co-locate.. for example you must say "below deck" (of a boat) not "under deck" 

Short answer: 
They �re the same.

Prepositions don �t really mean anything, they just have a tendency to go with certain situations or directions, but they �re never concrete. 

25 Nov 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I saw this definition for below today:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/below

�preposition

lower down than: below the knee.

lower in rank, degree, amount, rate, etc., than: below cost; below freezing.

too low or undignified to be worthy of; beneath: He considered such an action below his notice.

Theater. downstage of: There are two chairs below the table.

11. Below, under, beneath indicate position in some way lower than something else. Below implies being in a lower plane: below the horizon, the water line. Under implies being lower in a perpendicular line: The book is under the chair. Beneath may have a meaning similar to below, but more usually denotes being under so as to be covered, overhung, or overtopped: the pool beneath the falls.

25 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Straight from �Practical English Usage � by Swann:

Below vs Under

The prepositions below and under can both mean �lower than �.
Look in the cupboard below/under the sink.

We prefer below when one thing is not directly under another.
The climbers stopped 300m below the top of the mountain.
A moment later the sun had disappeared below the horizon.

We prefer under when something is covered or hidden by what is over it, and when things are touching.
I think the cat �s under the bed.
What are you wearing under your sweater?
The whole village is under water.

Below is used in measurements of temperature and height, and in other cases where we think of a vertical scale.
The temperature is three degrees below zero.
Parts of Holland are below sea level.
The plane came down below the clouds.
She �s well below average in intelligence.

Regards,
AB

26 Nov 2009