Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Christmas and New Year trivia    

Christmas and New Year trivia

priorita
Ukraine

Christmas and New Year trivia

Hello, Dear Friends!
I �ve been looking for Christmas and New Year trivia and fun facts and there are some issues I would like to clarify. 

Is it true that in Mexico, "wearing red underwear on New Year �s Eve is said to bring new love in the upcoming year"? If yes, do the married women wear it? Joking Wink

Although I live in Ukraine and historically and traditionally this country has always been within Russian cultural space I do not know who this misterious "Baboushka" (meaning grandmother in English) is. It is written on many sites dedicated to Christmas and New Year topics that she brings presents. Maybe my almost compatriots from Russia have received presents from her, but the traditional New Year characters are Grandfather Frost and his granddaughter Snegurochka (Snowgirl).

Enjoy pre-holiday mood! 

28 Nov 2009      

JulietaVL
Mexico

In Mexico if you wear...

red underwear: you�ll be lucky in love

yellow underwear: you�ll have money

Mexico is a country with lots of "beliefs"... I don�t believe in this but... weeks before New Year�s Eve you�ll see the stores selling all this.

I do not know if married women also wear this... maybe.

28 Nov 2009     

patrenou
Argentina

Here in Argentina  you have to give pink underwear  as a present to the girls and women at Christmas   and they have to wear it at New year�s Eve   and if they do so  they �ll have good luck. 

28 Nov 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Hi,
Will you upload the quiz later? Sounds interesting and funny!
In Argentina, they say that people should wear pink underwear (pants, knickers) for Christmas night!.. I �m not too sure why!
I don �t think everyone follows this, but every year I hear how people buy loards of pink underwear. I think it �s to desire for new things and prosperity!...:)

edit: Ahhh patrenou you came to rescue me! I wanted to help but wasn´t too sure!

28 Nov 2009     

priorita
Ukraine

thanks, dears!
judith, as for a quiz, I �ll think over you proposal.
Muah!

28 Nov 2009     

Takenori
Chile

Hi priorita!

As you are talking about underwear. Here in my country Chile. It �s very common see people wearing YELLOW underwear at new year �s day. I dont know why...but tradition says that it will make you a lucky person next year coming.

I hope it helps you :)

take care

28 Nov 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Priorita!
Another Mexican New Year �s tradition is to step outside your house at midnight with a suitcase (luggage) in your hands, and this means you �ll be travelling a lot throughout the year!
Another one: light colored candles: blue=peace, yellow=abundance, red=passion, green=health, orange=intelligence!

Never hurts to do all this, at least to have fun!!!

Cheers!

Mar

29 Nov 2009     

priorita
Ukraine

thank you all. very interesting.

29 Nov 2009