Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Ringing the bell in British Pubs    

Ringing the bell in British Pubs

lovinglondon
Spain

Ringing the bell in British Pubs

Hi Everybody!!! I �m preparing a PPS dealing with LONDON for my students and one of the points is "Pubs" I wonder if British people still have the bell tradition. If it does could you tell me exactly what time it bells and if not, When did it stop existing??
I �m searching for information in this SITE. I like it a a lot, and perhaps it is also useful for you!!
I hope you can help me with my doubt!
Bye bye!!

29 Nov 2009      

salaskas1
Belgium

Hi!

As an expat living in Belgium I can happily advise that indeed they do still call �Time please � in pubs.  It �s usually 10 minutes before 11pm, so around 10:50pm.  There are different laws on drinking on a Sunday and "last orders" are at 10:30pm.  Some pubs have longer licensing laws but on the whole the majority stick to last orders at 11pm six days a week and 10:30pm on a Sunday.  If you live out in the country and have a �local � pub it is not beyond the realms of possibility to have a �lock-in � - this basically means the landlord keeps the pub open for his customers but locks the front door, so as to appear closed.  I have spent many a night in the Wagon & Horses till the early hours happily enjoying a drink with friends! Tongue

I found some nice detail for you at

http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Britain/Food/Pubs.htm

They have a lot of very useful information covering what people can order, pub expressions, bar etiquette and pub names.  Oodles of materials for a lesson plan/worksheet.

Bottoms up! Cheers! Hope this helps!  Wink

29 Nov 2009     

lovinglondon
Spain

OH!!! thank you very much salaskas1!! it �s been a really great help!!
Bye bye
Thank you again!

29 Nov 2009