Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pronunciation problem    

Pronunciation problem

newuser07
Argentina

Pronunciation problem

Hi!

I�ve been working on pronunciation & phonetics with my intermediate- advanced students. Everything has been great except for the difference between SHin and Jeans. The consonant sound is the same for them! If you could share some tips on how to help them become aware it would be great!!! They can recognize the difference but they can�t actually pronounce it.
Thanks again dear friends!!!

Have a great weekend!

29 Nov 2009      

erar2008
Spain

Hi newuser07! Try this site. It �s full of exercises and listening activities. Hope you find it useful!

29 Nov 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Maybe get them to think about where their tounges are when they say each, when you say 

"sh" as in "shin" it doesn �t touch the top of your mouth or your teeth. (except at the end of the sound maybe) 
but with "j" as in "jean" it kind of starts at the top. If people think about the physical difference sometimes it helps them to use it. 
I don �t know if i �m explaining that right but anyway.. best of luck! 

29 Nov 2009     

apayala
Spain

maybe if the put a finger onto their lips and blow "shhhhhhhh" like when you want somebody to be quiet, they would notice that it sounds the same as "shin" and for the "j" they could try to sing "jingle bells" as a practice, maybe it is easier for them to say "jingle" than "jeans".

Good luck!

29 Nov 2009