Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > countable or uncountable    

countable or uncountable

nemomen
Romania

countable or uncountable

Hello, sorry to bother you guys but I have a problem with 3 words, and I can not tell for sure if they are count. or uncount. In my opinion, wage( money) is C, pay is C and interest(money) is U. Please tell me if I am right or wrong:(

30 Nov 2009      

maoopa
China

Wage= Countable
Pay= Countable
Interest= Could be both, if you are talking about the things you do to occupy your time, it �s countable. E.g. "Interests and Hobbies". However, if you are taking about Interest in terms of money, it is uncountable.

I hope that helps

Best regards,

Mauro

30 Nov 2009     

nemomen
Romania

thank you so much!!!

30 Nov 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Is the noun pay really countable? Can you give an example?

30 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

"Pay" is uncountable as a noun. You don �t say ... The pays are great at the bar on 52 St. - it �s "The pay/wages are great..."

30 Nov 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Pay is uncountable and payment is countable.  

30 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Pay is definitely uncountable (just doing adjectives with my 8th graders;-)

30 Nov 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i tell my students when they hava a  doubt with coun/uncountable to put a number before if it makes sense the countable uf not uncountable ... example i have one pay... dosent make sense.

30 Nov 2009