Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

debbiem
Israel

help

Hello friends,
I will start teaching English literature soon and I thought about my first lesson. Should literature be defined?
I was wondering if you have a definition for literature that you like?
Can you share it with me?
Thank you,
Debbie

1 Dec 2009      

Maha Alawdat
Israel

Hi debbiem,
 I am teaching the literature course according to the new literature program for the Bagrut examinations in the south. I am in the fourth session.
We discussed the definition of literature and the teachers came out of different definitions.
if u r teaching the same program, I would be happy to share.

Maha

1 Dec 2009     

chiaras
Italy

Hi Debbie!
When I start a literature course I usually divide the class into groups of 3 students, then I give them the following inputs to reflect upon:

1) Studying literature is the only way to understand human thoughts and feelings, and understanding them means knowing human nature and what it takes to be a man

2) I think that studying English literature is very interesting because you can learn about the culture of English-speaking countries. It is more exciting than studying grammar and also amusing and pleasant.

3) I like reading poetry because it speaks about universal values and it gives you the chance to discuss a lot of issues.

4) Reading literature is boring in my language; what is the use of studying it in a foreign language?

After reading these inputs and discussing them, each group chooses a member who will deliver a short speech about the above mentioned topics, summing up the point of view or the different opinions of all group members.

It is a kind of warming-up activty before starting literature classes!

Chiara

1 Dec 2009