Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help!!!    

Please help!!!

vasina_vika
Ukraine

Please help!!!

I �m sure the answer to my question is obvious but I can �t find it in my head. Please, help me:
I �m well - why do we use there well instead of good (according to the rule after verb to be goes an adjective)

2 Dec 2009      

mokus19
Hungary

The sentence �I �m well. � = �I feel well." when talking about how you FEEL!!! the questions are �How are you? � = �How do you feel? �

2 Dec 2009     

julianbr
Italy

hi Vas .. maybe I can help .. I think it �s a follows:

well is an adverb and tells how you are ..

I am well = I am in good health / feeling fine.

good is an adjective and tells what you are ..

I am good = I have good qualities as a person .. I am not evil, for example.

2 Dec 2009     

Mariethe House
France

well:adverb
good adjective!

Agree with Julian!

2 Dec 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Here in Ireland everyone says "I �m good" in reply to "How are you?"

2 Dec 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I agree with Lana... As a New Zealander if someone asked me "how I was" I would say "I �m good" or "Good, thanks"...

Even though it might not agree with your rule this is the natural way to answer if you are a native. I have never said I am well as an answer to that question.

2 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

Yup, have to agree with the other Natives... While you can say "I �m well." - it �s extremely formal nowadays and people opt for "I �m good." "Good, thanks.", "Not bad..." etc... 

2 Dec 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

I �m afraid "I �m well" is becoming a little bit (just a tiny bit) outdated and is gradually being replaced by "I �m good". Wink Originally, "I �m good" sounded more like "I �m a good person".
...........................................................................................................................................
But "well" is not only an adverb. See below:

Main Entry: 5well
Function: adjective
Date: before 12th century

1 a : prosperous, well-off b : being in satisfactory condition or circumstances
2 : being in good standing or favor
3 : satisfactory, pleasing <all �s well that ends well>
4 : advisable, desirable <it might be well for you to leave>
5 a : free or recovered from infirmity or disease : healthy <he �s not a well man> b : completely cured or healed <the wound is nearly well>
6 : pleasing or satisfactory in appearance <our garden looks well � Conrad Aiken>
7 : being a cause for thankfulness : fortunate <it is well that this has happened>

synonyms see healthy
usage see good

2 Dec 2009