Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Will be coming to China for a year contract....    

Will be coming to China for a year contract....

N.F.T
South Africa

Will be coming to China for a year contract....

Hi there all!

I will be teaching in China, Tianjin, from January 2010.  I am just wondering how much money would be recommended to bring along to survive the first 2 months?  Please bear in mind that I live in SouthAfrica so the exchange rate from ZAR to RMB is about 1.35 - not much either way.

I will have my rent etc covered and all my VISA costs etc are all paid in total so it �s literally just surviving the month for the average traveller �s first time in China????

Hope you can help!

Thanks in advance.

3 Dec 2009      

PhilipR
Thailand

Difficult one. Depends on how big a spender you are. I �d say you should at least have 10,000 RMB (yuan) at your disposal. You �ll probably not spend it all (you may not even spend half), but it �s always a good idea to have some emergency funds. You don´t want to be stuck in China without money. No need to bring money in cash, as long as you have an international ATM card or credit card (with access to Maestro or Cirrus network - the blue logo).

3 Dec 2009     

fletsch
Canada

I agree with PhillipR.  When I first came to China I had around 10,000RMB.  10,000 RMB is a lot of money here in China, but when you first arrive, you usually need to set up your apartment.  I am not sure how well you will be set up by your school (bedding, household items, etc) but I spent a fair amount of time and money in my first week just getting my place to feel more like home. 

I think the rule of thumb is;  more money is better than not enough...

Cheers from Shanghai and best of luck to you,

Fletsch

3 Dec 2009     

nancywhite
China

Hi! I am Chinese and I live in the city near to Tianjing! I don �t think you have to spend a lot of money there, we think the spending in Tianjing is low!So don �t worry and If you have any questions about China, you can ask me! For the first two months, 10000RMB is enough for you!Haha! China is paradise of food!Welcome to China!

3 Dec 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

Thank you all for your advice:)  Seems the agreed amount in around 10 000.  Would be great to maybe hook up with those of you who are in and around the Tianjing area??  Looking forward to being there in 2010!

3 Dec 2009     

luisftas
Portugal

That will be a wonderful experience... I would also like to do something like that.. what do I have to do?

4 Dec 2009