Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I could use some ideas    

I could use some ideas

fletsch
Canada

I could use some ideas

Hey everyone:

I have been asked to tutor a 30 year old woman 3 times a week starting on Monday.  She has an intermediate level of English and is looking to improve her fluency, pronunciation and email writing skills, etc.  Does anyone have any ideas about the best way to teach her.  I am used to teaching classes of about 20-30 students, so this is quite different for me. 

Thanks lots!

Fletsch

5 Dec 2009      

a isabel
Portugal

Hi,

Perhaps you could ask her to read the newspaper and choose some topics she would like to talk about. You can ask her some questions and take notes on her language problems either vocabulary or grammar. Then you would prepare some materials for those areas.
Writing: You could ask her about her working area and which type of topics she deals with and then you would ask her to write about different subjects - or to reply to some customers....
Good Luck

5 Dec 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Three times a week is very intensive! I suggest a book of some sort that covers all four skills.

If she is around FCE level then there are AWESOME books which would work well. At this level they also cover all of the main grammar areas as well as learning to write in a variety of styles and genres.

Am using Ready for FCE for a group for next year (and the workbook that accompanies it). But if you had just the course book you could supplement the grammar topics that come up in each theme with worksheets from here.

Another good series is Premium by Longman. I have the CAE book (which would be too advanced) BUT it does not mention the exam in it. (Which often course books aimed at these exams so....) It covers everything at the higher level and is a great course book. I am going to be getting the B1 and B2 levels after Christmas for my private teaching as they are wonderfully set out and have interesting tasks.

The great thing about working through a course book is that it will cut down on your prep time. Also the writing tasks can be done for homework and marked together in the next session. As can any grammar or any other exercises. And again you can supplement it with your own work and ideas.

Good luck!

Add in some conversational English tasks and regular reading of English news (or reading the news in Chinese BUT then explaining to you what the article was about in English....) and you are all set!

5 Dec 2009     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
I used to tutor a lawyer who wanted to learn French when I lived in the US. We talked about the news together, that was really interesting, because we talked politics and other subjects that were not really what I �m used to. I recorded French TV shows and then we would talk about the show, the things she had understood, the bits and pieces that were more difficult (because of the different accents, or because of inuendos). I asked her to prepare a small presentation of an article she had read, and then I would correct her pronunciation...
well, here are some ideas, but the best thing is to see what she wants to do.
hope it helps

5 Dec 2009     

Rebs
Spain

Hi

I do a lot of one to one tutoring which can be fun, here are a couple of sites that I find useful, they have some good topics for conversation, vocab, listening and you just have to draw out the grammar points and reinforce them with one of the fabulous worksheets on this site   Thumbs Up

both are free sites and offer a lot of useful material

good luck.

5 Dec 2009