Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > for, while, during    

for, while, during

English971
Guadeloupe

for, while, during

I need a funny way to teach to young learners the difference between : for, during, while, since.

5 Dec 2009      

ayda louhichi
Tunisia

you can do the following: Divide your class into small sub-groups (4 students each). Each time make them work on 4 sentences. One sentence with "For", one sentence with "during", one sentence with "since" and the fourth with "while".

The game is the following: Take each sentence and split it into 3: write the first half on a small thick card, write the prepositions on a second thick card, write the second half of the sentence on the third card.
you have 4 sentences , so you are going to give each group 12 cards, 4 cards with the first halves of the sentences, 4 with the adverbs and 4 with the second halves of the sentences
The cards will look like this

the sentences are :
I haven �t seen my classmate since our graduation day.
A thief came into the house while I was taking a shower
We haven �t met for a long time
The kids slept during the party

You can adapt them as to make them more challenging or easier, you can also make the cards more attractive as to add some pictures.
hope it helps

In fact this matching game works perfectly with a lot of purposes for instance, matching words with their definitions, matching words with pictures, matching synonyms and antonyms ........

5 Dec 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

How young are your learners? 

5 Dec 2009