Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The difference between might have been and could have been    

The difference between might have been and could have been

Amandina
Switzerland

The difference between might have been and could have been

Dear Teachers,

Here�s a grammar question that keeps puzzling me:
What�s the difference between "He could have stolen my car" and "He might have stolen my car"?

Thank you for your help!
Cheers,
Amandina

5 Dec 2009      

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

"He could have stolen my car." 

2 possible meanings: 

1. where "could" is acting as a modal the same as "might" 
It means maybe he stole my car, I don �t know, I am speculating.

2. Where "could" is the past tense of can. 
Here the meaning is very different; It means he had the opportunity to steal my car, and he didn �t. 

"He might have stolen my car." 

Only one possible meaning in modern English:

It means maybe he stole my car, I don �t know, I am speculating.

Hope that was clear. 

*starts singing a Christmas song* 

"I could have been someone
- Well so could anyone... you took my dreams from me, when I first found you!"

5 Dec 2009     

Amandina
Switzerland

Wow!!!! That makes it very clear! Thanks a lot!!!!! And thank you for the song! I�ll definitely use it.
Hugs,
Amandina

5 Dec 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Yay! I �m so glad it helped. :) 

You don �t have to use the song hee hee, students don �t always love it... but I do! :) 

5 Dec 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

You are absolutely right RabbitWho! Thank God the �natives �(who get offended quickly -not you of course not everyone reacts the same way)... didn �t come saying: "There is no difference!!!" it �s the same to me!..LOL Because then they get really offended when one says that there is a grammatical reason and a diffrence. Cool

6 Dec 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

He could have stolen my car  =  He had the ability, but he didn �t.  Example:  He could have stolen my car, because I left my keys in it, but he didn �t.

He might have stolen my car  =  He might be the one who stole my car. Example:  He might have stolen my car, because he had the opportunity.

Hugfrom Israel.

Judy  

6 Dec 2009     

mrjamal
United Arab Emirates

There is no difference  : "might" and "could "  have the same function when they are used in the modal past perfect tense >"possibility" or "uncertainity" . Thank you.

6 Dec 2009     

mrjamal
United Arab Emirates

Sorry Judy but "could " can imply that type of ability but not in this tense Ii guess.

6 Dec 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Give it up Samantha you are being quite ridiculous and pathetic. That chip on your shoulder about native speakers is very unattractive.
Yet again you are rude and insulting to all native speakers here. What exactly is your point.

6 Dec 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

As a native English speaker, if someone said to me, he could have stolen my car, I would take it to be ability.  If he said, he could have stolen my car, he looks like the guy who did it, then I would take it as a modal.

So MrJamal,  It would depend on the way it was said. 

Judy

6 Dec 2009