Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > past continuos help (game ,activity or a fun way to teach past cont.?)    

past continuos help (game ,activity or a fun way to teach past cont.?)

samsunmustafa
Turkey

past continuos help (game ,activity or a fun way to teach past cont.?)

I �ll explain past continuous tense to my thirteen year old students tomorrow and unfortunately they get bored very easily.Do you suggest any idea to make the two hours of lesson a fun.Please help me.Any idea is welcome.Thanks a lot.

7 Dec 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

My sts love it when I give them past cont.-past simple combinations. I provide the beginnings of sentences, such as While the president was taking his afternoon nap... and then they have to finish the sentence with a funny short past simple activity which broke it up, such as his butler took his I-phone and broke it. It �s also fun if you ask them to list some famous characters from cartoons or comic books or famous singers/actors/etc. and make combinations. They also love writing funny chain stories - for instance, let them suggest three famous people to you who would never normally be seen together and tell them to pretend these people �s planes broke down and they all ended up on a forced holiday together - skiing in some remote village, no de-luxe accomodation, no way out and no way to communicate till the blizzard is over. So they have to write/say a story about what happened, using past tense combinations. You can have them in pairs, and the first pair writes a sentence, then the second part continues it, etc. They can all write on a big piece of paper, using markers. It �s colourful and fun, and your introduction into the rules will not seem dull, because they will have fun with it while writing the story.
Another fun thing I do with my sts sometimes (got the idea from Cutting Edge) is play cops and robbers - divide the classroom into teams of robbers and teams of cops, and tell them some diamonds were stolen yesterday, and the police is going to interview suspects. Give the police 10 mins to write questions (e. g. What were you doing at ( o �clock yesterday evening? What was the waitress wearing? etc.), and give the robbers exactly the same time to prepare their alibi - they were all at having dinner together at the same restaurant, at the same time (so they agree on things such as: they had a waiter, the restaurant was great, they were talking and dancing, the restaurant band was playing Sinatra, etc.) Let the police make notes, but the robbers can �t use theirs. Then tell them nobody can use phrases such as I can �t remember or I don �t know. Then put one half of the police team at one desk, and the ohter half at the other desk. Divide the robbers into 2 teams and send one robbers � team to one desk to be interviewed, and the other robbers � team to the other desk. They are interviewed at the same time (you are the moderator) and the police is allowed to make notes and use them, but the robbers/suspect are not. When the interviews are finished (10 mins), sit the suspects in a row and give the police 2-3 mins to compare notes. If they can find at least one detail the two robbers � groups said differently, they �re busted. Mine always do if you forbid I can �t remember. Some robbers say the waiter was tll, some short, and that �s enough to prove they weren �t all there.
It �s loads of fun and afterwards you can have them write down all the possible questions the police could use or the robbers could use. Loads of grammar with loads of fun!

7 Dec 2009     

binka
Poland

You can write a lot of sentences in Past Continuous which students will have to act out.
Write sentences like: I was eating a pizza. She was dancing rock �n �roll. They were speaking Chinese. Have each S choose a card with the sentence written on it and let them act it out in front of the group.
Write the sentences with all persons,so that when the group guess the person,they will automatically come up with the correct form of "was / were".

I was teaching adults and we used this game one time - they were bursting with laughter and they loved this game!

7 Dec 2009     

barbie77
France

Good evening!!

Look at these 2 great books maybe you �ll find what you need Wink

Hope you �ll like it and find it useful !

7 Dec 2009