Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > American English?    

American English?

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

American English?

Hello,
here is one thing I �d like to know...
Do you ever tell the time 15 00 as �fifteen hundred � or 16 00 �sixteen hundred �? Normally people do not say it and it may confuse somebody, but my friend today told me he uses it sometimes and claimed that it �s an �American English � way to tell the time... I didn �t believe him becasue I never heard Americans telling the time in this way LOL

Thank you,
Kate

7 Dec 2009      

alien boy
Japan

It �s actually a military standard to use a 24hr clock, not just American.

Strangely, it �s very common for Japanese English speakers and it will often also be used in written form when time is written in otherwise Japanese documents!

Cheers,
AB

7 Dec 2009     

cagreis
Portugal

Hi Kate,
Yes, it is possible to tell the time like this.

7 Dec 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Thank you, AB ;) Now I get it :)
Thank you, cagreis

Kate

7 Dec 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Kate

I use the 24 hour clock on my mobile phone and laptop - I find it much easier - but I don�t usually speak it.  Some people do use and speak according to the 24 hour clock, and yes, it�s a military thing.  It�s not common in the civilian world  but it is used.

Cheers

Jayho

7 Dec 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Thank you Jayho :)
P.S. nice avatar, all ready for Christmas ;)

7 Dec 2009     

epit
Turkey

Hi Kate ,we use thirteen,fourteen and tweentythree for the pm hours inTurkish but,in English I have never heard telling the time in this way. thank you

8 Dec 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi
Like AlienBoy, I thought it was only used for military time. However, in French we use it all the time.

8 Dec 2009     

ounhabounha
France

Americans use the 12 hour system when telling time.  We would only tell time in military time (24 hour system), if we were in the military or other similar field.

8 Dec 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I would say it is a government/enforcement thing. Police forces use it and they are not military.  Both Korea and Hong Kong use the 24 hr clock.  It avoids a lot of confusion.  To tell the time, all you do is deduct 12 from the number ABOVE 12 eg. 13:00 is 13-12=1:00.  I like it in a lot of ways.  If you say "The meeting is at 8:00.", it could be either AM or PM but 20:00 tells you immediately that it is 8:00PM (20-12=8).   

8 Dec 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Rather than a �government/enforcement thing �, it �s actually commonly used anywhere that operations/activities occur continuously/anytime throughout the 24 hours of the day. Emergency services, hospitality workers, some areas in manufacturing, hospital staff (private & government owned) and many other groups use a 24 hour clock simply because it does solve possible am/pm confusion. However, it isn �t commonly used in conversation except in relation to the work involved - so rosters may well be issued in 24 hour format & discussion with staff involved in rostering would then also usually occur using the 24 hour format. I would say that, for native English speakers (even the military when talking outside of work), 24 hour time is not a common or popular mode of expression.

Regards,
AB

8 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >