Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Regarding removal of reading about other holidays in December.    

Regarding removal of reading about other holidays in December.

Marla D.
United States

Regarding removal of reading about other holidays in December.

Hi,
I had a two-page worksheet about the December holidays. I wrote that it was important that students who do not celebrate Christmas have their holidays recognized. In my home, we celebrate both Christmas and Chanukah. I teach adult ESL. I bring in Christmas activities, word searches, crosswords, etc. every night in December. As I looked at my class, many of them having just arrived in the United States, I felt it was important that their holidays not be forgotten. I do not understand why my sheets were removed.
Marla

8 Dec 2009      

zailda
Brazil

Not ESL related?

No tasks added?

Copy & paste?

No original member �s work added?

Difficult to state, but maybe you can help.

Which from the above mentioned does your ws fit?

8 Dec 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Marla,
I remember your ws. It was reported as non ESL resource. There weren �t any tasks added, that �s why it was removed.
I would advise you to make some simple comprehension question and upload it again.

Regards, Michaela

8 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Maria, you may want to promote Xmas among your students as a secondary goal. The ws primary objective  must be the English learning or practice, with tasks to promote it. 

8 Dec 2009     

Marla D.
United States

Thanks for your responses. It was a reading that I had my students do aloud. Then we discussed the various holidays. I appreciate your input. I thought perhaps that someone thought I was attacking Christmas. I have had other readings on before that were received well, and there was no follow-up exercise other than discussion.Thanks for your feedback. Zalida, you misunderstood. I do not promote Christmas. I bring in short seasonal materials each month for a quick start while all the students file into the room.
It was my concern that the students not see it as Christmas being promoted. That is why I made the reading. : )
Marla

8 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Well, I didn �t see your reading so I have no clear idea on what it is about. If you want to upload it again, just add some tasks and it �ll be OK.

No matter you want either to promote or to attack Xmas, my point is: the first objective of the ws here is to promote English learning or practice.

Have a nice day.

8 Dec 2009     

Marla D.
United States

Of course! : )
You have a nice day too!

8 Dec 2009     

Marla D.
United States

Thanks MJ and Zalida,
I have taken your advice and made a worksheet to go with the reading. I appreciate your input.
Marla

9 Dec 2009