Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > To all Portuguese Speakers    

To all Portuguese Speakers

readingaol
Portugal

Thank you all. I think the word comes from a native language belonging to the Indians in Brazil.

8 Dec 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Hey there,
Funny thing - in Romanian it is also �ananas �.

Hugs,
Gabitza

8 Dec 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

haha I had no idea �ananas � is such an international word Approve

8 Dec 2009     

vardaki
Cyprus

Ananas is  pineaple and in Greek language!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananas

8 Dec 2009     

alien boy
Japan

�Ananas � is also French for pineapple. In Japanese they use パイナップル which is pronounced �pineapperu �

Here �s some info about the origins of the fruit, pineapple: Pineapple Fruit Facts

�abacaxi � is a type of pineapple that is not commonly found in the English speaking world. Our pineapples are generally quite yellow in colour whereas I �ve heard that in Brazil the abacaxi has white flesh and is particularly sweet.

The word ananas (& it �s variations) would derive from the Spanish adoption of the native word for the larger yellow pineapple. As Spain had an amazing global reach back in the 15th & 16th centuries the word would have been adopted by their trading partners. England & Spain, however, had notoriously difficult relations back then, so the English called the fruit �pineapple � because of the fruit �s similarity to a pine cone!

Brazil has an extraordinary variety of fruit - much of which is not seen or known outside of Brazil & its Portuguese & Spanish connection. One of my favourites is the black sapote, often called �the chocolate pudding fruit � in English. (A site with a little info about Brazillian fruits)

Cheers,
AB

9 Dec 2009     

readingaol
Portugal

Thank you all for this.

9 Dec 2009     

< Previous   1    2