Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > who or which     

who or which

moreworksheet
Vietnam

who or which

Help me to choose the best answer.
I have two sentence "Elephants are very big. I love them"
I can write "Elephants which I love are very big" or "Elephants who I love are very big"
Thanks a lot!

11 Dec 2009      

robertttt
Australia

The 1st choice is correct because elephants is replaced by "which" reffing to things.

11 Dec 2009     

rallentando
Korea, South

Which.

Also, you should use bracketing commas, because it is a non-restrictive clause. So, "Elephants, which I love, are very big". Otherwise it sounds as if you love only some elephants (in this case big ones), rather than all elephants.

11 Dec 2009     

savina noronha
India

The 1st choice because elephants is replaced by �whic �. you can use �that � also

11 Dec 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

It �s definitely "which" for animals. But you need commas to separate the subordinate clause from the main clause, because it is a non-defining relative clause. I would say: "Elephants, which I love, are very big". Otherwise, you are saying that you only love big elephants.

If you put commas, you cannot replace "which" by "that". If you don �t put commas, you can.

11 Dec 2009