Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HAS or HAVE... ???    

HAS or HAVE... ???

Baadache
Canada

HAS or HAVE... ???

I am a bit confused between saying :

1. Who has the answer ?
  or:    2. Who have the answer ?

Which one is correct ? Why ?

12 Dec 2009      

avidrox
Spain

My first thought is that it depends on who you expect to anwer, just one person in whose case the first option is the right one, or more than one person, in whose case the second sentence is the appropiate one.

However, "who has the answer" sounds more natural to me.

Let �s see what natives have to say...  Big smile

12 Dec 2009     

Mariethe House
France

I �d say: who can answer my question?

12 Dec 2009     

corina2211
Spain

I like very much Mariethe �s version. But if you have to choose between the 2 sentences that you mentioned, I would definitely use �who has the answer �. I am sorry that I cannot give you a grammatical explanation but that is what I have heard and read in all the books my whole life. :) I hope it helps

12 Dec 2009     

silvia.patti
Italy

I have always used the second version, I think because "who" is considered 3rd person singular...but I �m not sure

12 Dec 2009     

natalli
Belarus

Well, the pronoun WHO is really third person singular! It can only add HAVE, ARE, etc if it is preceeded by the plural. For example,�

The people who want to buy the car are here.

or Those who have this document can pass.�

12 Dec 2009