Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > car loan vs car rental    

car loan vs car rental

carinita
Argentina

car loan vs car rental

Hello, all
I �m reading this article at the moment "Review of Nissan Car Loans Finds That Blacks Pay More" http://www.racematters.org/blackspaymorefornissans.htm 
It �s compulsory reading for Language IV...
What I �d like to ask is this: when you apply for a car loan you are purchasing the car, aren �t you? What is confusing for me is that in the text appear the words "lender" (like Nissan) and "borrower" (customer) I thought that those terms were used when you rent a car (or anything else)....but I guess in the case of a loan the "borrower" gets the car when he/ she finishes paying the loan Am I right?

13 Dec 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

Where I come from, when you rent a car, you are not the owner of it. You have the possibility to buy it at the end of the location. Renting comes with conditions. You have a maximum of kilometers you can drive in a year. If you go over, you get a penalty.

13 Dec 2009     

julianbr
Italy

the article is speaking about lending money in order to buy a car. The car will become the property of the person taking out the loan once the loan is repaid to the lender.

on the other hand, to rent  or lease a car is to pay a company for the short or long term use of a vehicle. The vehicle wont become the property of the customer at the end of a renting period. If the period is long, the customer might well be offered a good deal as an incentive to buy the car once the period has ended, but this is not mandatory on either party. 

13 Dec 2009     

yanogator
United States

To add a little more information, julianbr is correct that the article is talking about lending and borrowing the money, for the purpose of buying the car. The "borrower" has the car from the beginning, but owns the car after repaying the loan (a period that varies from three to seven years here in the US). In the US, you can rent a car for a short period of time (usually less than a month), or lease a car for a long period (usually one or more years). At the end of the lease, you usually have the option of buying the car.

I hope this helps,
Bruce

30 Dec 2009