Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Concept check questions    

Concept check questions

refis24
United Kingdom

Concept check questions

Hi All,

I am a Celta student and my tutor is rather strict when it comes to concept check questions. There are set senarios behind the context, but the target language is �pavement �, �put up with � and �quiet �.

Could anybody help me out with the following:

Walk on the pavement.

Do we walk in the road? NO

Can you walk on it? YES

Is it outside or inside? Inside

Where should the children walk? Pavement

�Be quiet please�

Are they loud? YES   

Are they talking? YES

�I can�t put up with his smoking any longer. �

Does he often smoke? YES

Does she like him smoking? NO

Does she look happy? YES

Thanks you all, any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Refis24

14 Dec 2009      

PhilipR
Thailand

1/ Where I live the pavement is OUTSIDE.
2/ They could be talking; my guess is they are. Not enough information to establish that 100% sure of course (they could be banging their heads on the table or they could be singing loudly).

14 Dec 2009     

kaz76
United Kingdom

I agree with Philip.

We don �t have the set scenarios that you have so it is hard to know the context.  When I saw the �be quiet please �, I immediately assumed that it was either a sign or someone saying be quiet please in which case the �are they talking? � question would be yes.  Or you could have the question �Are they making a noise? � which would cover singing, shouting etc.

As we don �t have the context it is also hard to know whether the �does she look happy � question is ok.  Generally, I wouldn �t look happy while saying that sentence. 

Can you give more background information regarding the scenarios?

Thanks

Karen

14 Dec 2009     

occurin�
Spain

Refis,

They key is to make the concept check questions much simpler and easier than the target phrase. It�s debateable, but if they know th word for the road (as opposed to "street"), they are likely to know the word for pavement too.  If they don�t know "be quiet" they probably don�t know "loud".  Grammar should be calibrated too, if we�re planning in such detail.

Frankly I find it hard to use CCQs with elementary classes, and always prefer pictures.

Thanks.

14 Dec 2009     

refis24
United Kingdom

Hi all, thanks for your responses. Here is the senarios which will make things a bit more clearer.

�Be quiet please�

Use mime. Index finger to your mouth and say sssshhhhhhh.

Finger elicit to the class.  Drill this chorally.

Show a video to the students of a teacher teaching a class.  The students are being disruptive and noisy and the teacher says �be quiet please� in a loud voice.

Show another video where there and young children at home running and screaming around the house and the mother says �be quiet please�

I would show two pictures showing the opposite of quiet. One picture being a man shouting. Ask, �quiet?� Elicit answers. He�s LOUD.  Show another picture of a dj with his equipment playing his music. Ask �quiet?�  Elicit answers. No LOUD.  Then show a picture of a person in a library studying and ask �quiet?�

14 Dec 2009     

refis24
United Kingdom

Here is the senario for �pavement �

Walk on the pavement.

Picture on the IWB showing a street with an arrow pointing to the pavement. Ask the class what�s this? Elicit answers.

Show the same picture with a group of young children in the road. Ask the ss, where are the children walking? Elicit answers. Ask the ss, do we walk in the road? Elicit answers. Where do we walk? Elicit answers. Walk on the pavement.

Put two pictures on the IWB with one picture showing the children on the pavement and the other picture showing them in the road. Ask �which one is correct? Elicit answers.

Put a picture on the whiteboard of a man and woman sitting on the sofa and watching the TV. There is an ashtray on the coffee table with cigarette nubs. The man has got a cigarette in his mouth and the woman has got a look of disgust on her face and a bubble stating �I can�t put up with his smoking any longer�.

Here is the senario for �put up with � 

I would ask the class if they smoke and elicit the answers.  I would ask the class why do you smoke?  Elicit answers (social, stress, nice taste?). I would ask the rest of the class why they think the others smoke. Elicit answers. I would ask the non smokers why they chose not to smoke (bad smell, bad for health). Elicit answers. Get the ss to discuss/dispute the pros and cons of smoking.

This is for my assignment and would really appreciate your professional input.

Thanks
Refis24 

14 Dec 2009     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Is it safe to walk on the pavement?
Do cars drive on the pavement?

Do you speak quietly in a library or loudly?
Is it quiet in a noisy factory?
Can you honk your horn in a quiet hospital zone?

Does she support his smoking habit?
Does she encourage his smoking habit?

I actually liked your CCQs. Just adding a few alternates.

14 Dec 2009     

refis24
United Kingdom

Hi redcamarocruiser,

Thanks for your reply.  My tutor does not allow us to use the target language in our CCQs.  This is why I am trying to think of different alternatives. It also has to be simple language as it is for beginners.

Her comments on my draft assignment are as follows
�quiet � The q �s do not directly check the meaning of �quiet � - only the situation in which the request is made.

�pavement � We can walk in the road as we cross the road. We can walk on many things, this hardly pins the meaning down!

I have not yet recieved feed back on �put up with �, I am awaiting that one!!!

Thanks
Refis24

14 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

I dunno exactly what kind of questions or situations you need but, here´s one for "put up with".

"I can �t stand it. Mary �s coming for Christmas dinner. Every year, I must deal with her antics and bad behaviour at Christmas." -  I hate having to.... (fill in blank)

14 Dec 2009