Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What is the correct expression?    

What is the correct expression?

phil niro
Japan

What is the correct expression?

Dearest Teachers,

I would like to address this simple query to everyone. It has something to do with the appropriate expression  appertaining to SPORTS. Is it correct to say  "Do you play Judo ? Please enlighten me . Thank you.

16 Dec 2009      

Andreass
Spain

I think you should say: Do you do judo?      Do judo,karate  and  so on.
Play football,tennis,basketball......

16 Dec 2009     

redcamarocruiser
United States

It sounds wrong to me because Judo is a serious sport. Do you play football is acceptable.
Do you play Monopoly, the board game, is what comes to mind when I hear play Judo (and I would assume that Judo is a video game).

Do you do Judo is the usual way to ask that question.

Oh! Andreas our messages crossed! lol There was no answer to this question when I began writing an response. Smile

16 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

With Sports:

"Play" is for games or team sports like football, basketball, tennis, polo, etc...

"Go" - is for an activity you can do by yourself like swimming, jogging, skiing, skating, etc...

"Do" - is when you need another person to practise the sport but it �s not a game like football. Also, the person in question could be a spotter, instructor or a coach (someone to help you while do the sport and not just while you are learning it).

i.e. do judo - here you need a partner but judo isn �t a game // gymnastics - here you need a spotter to make sure you don �t hurt yourself.

Then there is the case of "golf" - where can "play golf" as a game -  or - go golfing because you can go alone.

16 Dec 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Actually, being here in Japan & having had just a little to do with martial arts, I �ve usually heard �play Judo � when your talking about competition... competitors �play judo �. If you ask someone if they are a judo practitioner then you could ask �Do you do/practice judo? �

Cheers,
AB

16 Dec 2009     

missjane_6
Australia

The verb for martial arts (judo, karate, taekwando, boxing etc) is DO.

Zora your tips for �play �, �do � are interesting but if you consider �chess � a sport it doesn �t necessarily work. I guess Chess is a board game, so that would always be PLAY.

Cheers,
Jane

16 Dec 2009     

phil niro
Japan

Dearest Teachers,
Thanks for giving me such responses although the differences in contents led me to complete confusion. Would you mind to refer me to any references stating that it is not proper to express " DO YOU PLAY JUDO?" in a conversation ?

16 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi there Jane,

Actually... Chess was once thought of as a sport and was included in the 1924 Olympics but never actually took off because of problems between professional and amateurs players. :-)

16 Dec 2009     

pepapelaez
Chile

zora

i loved your explanation

16 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi again Phil...

In answer to your question.. "Do you play Judo?" - the answer is... while it is not really grammatically correct, it is used by some (as AB pointed out)... On an official exam, I would put "do".. BUT for general, everyday conversation, you could say that and people would understand you. :-)

16 Dec 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

Hi,

I teach part-time at a sports university in Japan and as alien boy says, we often hear people say "play judo" and although I teach them to say "do judo" or "practise judo", it �s impossible to rid them of the habit.  It seems that martial arts students enjoy pain and consider being thrown forcefully onto the ground as a fun game.

For myself, I reserve the word "play" for real games such as football and poker, and for musical instruments.

16 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >