Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > working with newspapers and magazines    

working with newspapers and magazines

navarrovizcaino
Spain

working with newspapers and magazines

morning everyone and Happy Christmas:
I have a doubt,  a few weeks ago I bought 2 newspapers (the sun and the times ) and 2 magazines to work in my english classes I tried an activity with the oldest students ( 1st of Baccalaurate) but it didnt go very well. they were a bit lost and sometimes they couldnt understand what the texts were about. I want to work with them again but this time with my 4th of ESO (15 years old) students but their level is not so good so I was wondering what I could do!! any advice???? thanks a lot!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

16 Dec 2009      

redcamarocruiser
United States

A google search on these terms turned up some resources that might help you.

working with newspaers esl lesson plan

16 Dec 2009     

navarrovizcaino
Spain

wow that was quick!!Smile
excellent!! thanks a lot!!!!

16 Dec 2009     

marbellera
Spain

HI, Merry Christmas to you as well. I�ll propose you some ideas to do with newspapers. I�ve used them with my students and they were more or less ok, it will always depend on the level of the class:

a) Get them read an article and offer their own headline. ( I�ll do it in pairs)
b) If you are dealing with a grammatical aspect, get them to uderline passives, tenses, ...
c) Get them underline the vocabulary connected with the topic ( a kind of semantic field)
d) They can read an article and make collaborative writing
e) Show them a picture and in groups, they elaborate the story.
f) They can make a poster with the most popular English papers or magazines, ...
g) They all read the same article , and then, orally, one person says a sentence to start summarizing it, then another student continues, ...

Hope I could help you a little

Regards

16 Dec 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Hi, here are some Qs you could use for group work:

What�s the date of your newspaper?  

What is the top story in your newspaper today? Write the headline.

Which celebrities feature in your newspaper? Why are they in the news at the moment?

How many pages of oversea (world) news are there in your newspaper? Which countries are mentioned?

Briefly describe one crime or accident covered in the newspaper.

What is the top sports story of the day?
Find the weather forecast for today. What�s the weather like in Scotland and north England? What�s the temperature in London? Does your newspaper give the temperature for your capital city?

Hugs,
Gabitza

16 Dec 2009     

navarrovizcaino
Spain

many thanks to you all and happy christmas!!!!!!

16 Dec 2009