Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ..................................    

______
Germany

17 Dec 2009      

niacouto
Portugal

Hi Silke,

I think that you really must use "the" because actually you are providing the students with the words you want them to use.

You wouldn �t have to use the definite article if the sts could use any word that could fit within the context of the text/sentence.

Hope the explanation can help you. HugsHug

17 Dec 2009     

Katiana
Spain

I think the correct use is �with the correct words from the box� as you are referring to those particular words in the box you�ve included in the exercise.

You could say �with correct words� if the box was not present in the exercise.

I�m not a native speaker and I may be wrong.

Hugs

Katiana

17 Dec 2009     

AZingleGrl
Ecuador

I am a native speaker.  "...the correct answers" would be the best option!

17 Dec 2009     

carinaluc
Argentina

Dear Silke,
I also go for "the correct answers" since you �re referring to answers in particular, that is, the ones in the box.
All the best
Carina

17 Dec 2009     

Buschbaby
South Africa

I �m also a native speaker and I would also use the definite article...hope this helps!!

17 Dec 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Hi SIlke. I �m also a native speaker. It �s "the correct answers". The defines (definite article). So you want the students to use the defining words- that is the words that you are giving them , not just any words. Also you want them to provide the correct answers- not just any answers. Whenever we are talking about something particular we use "the". Now as I �m actually down with the flu, and not alltogether clear headed I hope my answer makes sense.

17 Dec 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi dear lady,
Not sure about what you have in mind. However I agree with all the previous answers ( most of them are native, so, what can I say ? LOL )

There is another possibility, depending on what kind of exercise you are going to present to your students.
I think you could also say:
"a / one  correct word(s) from the box"
if you are using some kind of multiple choice.
Is it? or am I being nosy?

Big hugs
linda

18 Dec 2009     

douglas
United States

Hallo Silke,
 I usually tell my students that using "the" means you are talking about something specific and leaving it out refers to something "allgemein"(in general)--it seems to confuse German native speakers more because in German definate articles seem to be used almost always (not so definate are they?).

Frohes Fest,

Doug

18 Dec 2009