Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help!    

Help!

lemarja3
Slovenia

Help!

A cube, a pyramid, a cubic are maths ... Can you help me to choose the correct word to complete the sentence? Thanks!

18 Dec 2009      

donapeter
Romania

space figures??? shapes? 

18 Dec 2009     

lemarja3
Slovenia

I think that a triangle, a square ... are shapes. 

18 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

Well, they are geometrical figures...

And the sentence is a bit strange in the first place since  "a cubic"...doesn �t exist, it�s an adjective used to express a mathematical expression.. i.e.. find the cubic area of ..

18 Dec 2009     

lemarja3
Slovenia

I think geometrical figures is the correct expression. But what word should I use instead of "cubic"?

18 Dec 2009     

lagringa
Argentina

THE ONES THAT ARE FLAT ARE SHAPES (TRIANGLE, RECTANGLE,CIRCLE, SQUARE) THE THREE DIMENSIONAL FIGURES ARE SOLIDS.(CYLINDER, PRISM, CUBE) BYE.

18 Dec 2009     

NipponNewfie
Japan

How about "A cube, a pyramid and a globe are three-dimensional geometric figures"?

18 Dec 2009     

NipponNewfie
Japan

Actually sphere would probably be more correct for math than globe. ie "A cube, a pyramid and a sphere are three-dimensional geometric figures". Hope this helps.

18 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

Well, squares, circles and rectangles are also geometrical figures... any figure that pertains to geometry is in that group so you could say...

"A square, a cube and a pyramid are geometrical figures."

18 Dec 2009     

yanogator
United States

The best, I think (as a college Mathematics instructor and former ESL teacher) is "geometric solids".

Bruce

18 Dec 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

I think Lagringa is right, and , sorry, Zora, you are not

"A square, a cube and a pyramid are geometrical figures."
They are not, or better, they don �t belong all to the same cathegory: a square is bi dimensional, so it is a geometrical figure, you can �t handle it , but a cube and a pyramid are tri dimensional, so they are objects, you can handle them.You can put a pyramid, a cube on the table, but you can �t put a square anywhere else but on a sheet of paper.
A cube is a solid, a volume ( 3 dimension ), and it has 6 square faces that are squares ( geometrical figures ).
A cube as well as a pyramid are solids, ( 3 dimensional ) and a pyramid can have different surfaces. A cube always has square faces, a pyramid always has some triangular faces  ( at least three ) and a base, which can be a geometrical figure of diferent shapes :a triangle, a square a .. don �t know the names, but it can have 3,,5,6, etc sides...
So, Lemaria, I would call them _SOLIDS  or VOLUMES
Length x width x height.
Hope I helped you, I am almost sure my maths is right, but not so sure about my English accuracy

19 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >