Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > PLEASE CLARIFY WHETHER SUNDAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK OR THE SEVENTH DAY    

PLEASE CLARIFY WHETHER SUNDAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK OR THE SEVENTH DAY

HOLYMARY_852
India

PLEASE CLARIFY WHETHER SUNDAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK OR THE SEVENTH DAY

I downloaded a PPT Ws on "Days of the Week" uploaded by Ms Gabitza as most of the members also must have done it. She has given Sunday as the Seventh Day of the Week, but when I referred to the Oxford Dictionary, Sunday is given as the First Day of the Week. So, please clarify which of the two is correct?

19 Dec 2009      

silvanija
Lithuania

Sunday is the first day of the week in Great Britain, Canada, Brazil... But in the most countries of the world Monday is the first day of the week.

19 Dec 2009     

eng789
Israel

In most cultures Sunday is the first day of the week, although some observe Monday as the first day.
 "According to the Bible, God created the Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day, the Sabbath, i.e. Saturday. This made Sunday the first day of the week, while Saturdays were sanctified for celebration and rest.

After the week was adopted in Early Christian Europe, Sunday remained the first day of the week, but also gradually displaced Saturday as the day of celebration and rest, being considered the Lord �s Day. In some places Sunday thus came to be viewed as the last day of the week.

"The variation is evident from names of the days in some languages � in Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, Church Latin and Portuguese, some days are simply called by their number starting from Sunday, e.g. Monday is called �Second day � etc. In other languages, like Slavic languages, days are also called after their ordinal numbers, but starting from Monday, making Tuesday the �Second day. �"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_the_week#First_day_of_the_week

19 Dec 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

You can click on ESL Printable calendar 2010 a bit above the forum. There was voting what day it should start with: Monday or Sunday.
Eng, I do not agree with you: I would say that in most cultures Monday is the first day of the week and and only in a few - Sunday.

19 Dec 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Gabitza is right.

Sunday is considered the first day of the week in some countries, including the USA, Japan, Great Britain, although today many countries such as the United Kingdom regard Sunday as the seventh day, at least in the working week and the civil week.

In most countries all around the world the 1st day of the week is Monday.

19 Dec 2009     

kaz76
United Kingdom

In the UK the first day of the week is Sunday. However, often people will talk about the working week with Monday being the first day and Friday as the last day of the week.  But when we are talking about the whole week, Sunday is the first day and Saturday is the last day. 

19 Dec 2009     

arkel
Ireland

I �ve always considered Monday to be the first day of the week

19 Dec 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

So have I �though I think it depends on context, religious belief and culture. 
The calendars I have at home all show Monday as the first day of the week and as schools run from Monday to Friday, most people would consider Monday the first day.

19 Dec 2009     

Patricia Elvira
Perú

I agree with eng 789

19 Dec 2009