Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > aromatic herbs    

aromatic herbs

morganalin
Portugal

aromatic herbs

Hi people, how is your weekend? I need your suggestions
One of my adults group is going to do an exhibition about aromatic herbs. They must contribue with something in English about that topic, the problem is that I don �t know what to propose about it. I have to give to my coordinator a description of all the steps that they must follow to create the activity... but what can I suggest?
It must be related with the English speaking world... Any tips?
Thanks a lot in advance for all your help
Hugs

20 Dec 2009      

stuartallen77
China

Do a fun cookery show roleplay, where student present the aromatic herbs as part of a cookery show where they can use the language as part of cooking recipes on the show - should be fun, especially if you can actually get hold of the ingredients and they can show the audience the realia as they give the presentation!

Hope this helps,

Stu xx

20 Dec 2009     

priorita
Ukraine

Hello, morganalin!

I am not sure I have understood your topic as you see it but... The first idea that has crossed my mind is aromatherapy. You could propose to find out (mostly to confirm theory on practice) how the scents of herbs influence people �s mood. It also must be interesting to learn the history of the herbs in medicine and cooking (the first site I �ve found in the web gave interesting herb facts). 
Or from linguistic point of view you could study some expressions or idioms with the herbs and aromas (if there any in English, I just can �t remember immediately)

Hugs from snowy Ukraine

20 Dec 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

You could talk about how to preserve aromatic herbs such as drying them, putting them in oil, vinager etc.  Give some hints and ask students about recipes they have used,  using aromatic herbs.
You could talk about aromatherapy and if your school allows the funds,  purchase some of the scents.   
 If you check on the net you will find sites that will enable you to get information about the medicinal purposes of aromatherapy and you could make a comparison between traditional medicine and aromatherapy.

One of my students did a presentation on aromatherapy.  It was very interesting.  She brought in some of the scents and showed us how mixing certain types of oil extractions could be beneficial to our health, for things such as anxiety, depression, headaches etc.  She had mentioned that basil is used for anxiety and panic, and that rosemary and peppermint are used for headaches.  She also talked about diffusion of the extracts into the air and how it has  a calming effect. 

20 Dec 2009