Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Possessive Pronouns     

Possessive Pronouns

esosh
Turkey

Possessive Pronouns

Dear colleagues,
I �m going to teach �possessive pronouns � in a couple of days and I was looking for some worksheet here as usual. What I �d like to know is that in some books it is written that �it � hasn �t got the possesive pronoun form (and this is what I �ve taught so far in my career) but here in some worksheet this isn �t the case. I �d really be grateful if a native speaker could help. Thanks in advance and enjoy your Sunday evening...

20 Dec 2009      

baiba
Latvia

What about its? It has always existed. Look at http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/330/grammar/poss.htm

1. Forms of Possessive Pronouns and Adjectives

Person Pronoun Adjective
1st singular mine my
2nd yours your
3rd (female) hers her
3rd (male) his his
3rd (neutral) its its
1st plural ours our
3rd plural theirs their

I have found a video which explains these things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRK2tDfYD5s&feature=player_embedded

20 Dec 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

What about "Oxford and its university"? Though, it �s actually a possessive ADJECTIVE, not a possessive PRONOUN. I can hardly imagine anybody say "This bowl is its" (say, about a cat). At the same time, "the cat and its bowl" sounds OK.

21 Dec 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Its is the possessive form of it.  The dog hurt its leg.  Nowadays, they are called possessive adjectives.

21 Dec 2009