Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Content X Layout    

Content X Layout

zailda
Brazil

Content X Layout

Hi!

One of my ws was reported yesterday due to a tendency I have noticed among some members lately: some people are fast to report and don �t "waste" their time to download, look carefully at the ws on the preview or even read it, before reporting.

We have to be strict concerning to rules but careful when judging the content because we are grading another person �s work and certainly a negative feedback unfairly given may hurt a lot.

It �s easy to report or vote a ws if there �s a proof it �s a copy, but I want you to pay careful attention before reporting a ws as non-ESL resource.

It doesn �t matter if the ws has a great layout or only a few sentences; if the author had to spend days or minutes preparing it; if it �s useful for you or not.

The important things in a ws are the content and the purpose related to learning or practicing English. Since a ws is not violating any of the others rules and was reported as non-ESL resource, we have to pay attention to those 2 elements. We have to forget our personal taste, our personal ideas. We only have to think: 1) how will students learn/practice English with it? 2) Will they?

If you can �t find the answer to the first question, and the answer to the second is "no", to be fair you have to vote for its removal. If you see the purpose of the ws and students will learn/practice English with it, no matter if you like it or not,  it is an esl resource.

We are not to judge other person �s work, to decide if it is good enough to be here, if it fits our pattern or anything else. If the ws is simple but is the member �s creation and provides English practice, it has to stay.

If you think a ws has poor content (but there is some content for ss to practice and learn) how about preparing a more complete one to share here, instead of unfairly reporting another person �s work?

At the reporting page I always deffend other people �s work that fit the rules, and I �m not afraid of making one or two enemies (strong word!) because of that. I admire the artists who know how to draw splendid pieces of art (from which students can also learn English!!!) but the site is not for artists only. Regular teachers like me or most of members also have the right to share ideas and own work, even when it �s considered poor or bad quality for some picky members.

Remember:
You don �t like colored worksheets - but others do.
You don �t like plain worksheets - but others do.

When judging other person �s work, don �t think only on yourself: think on the whole community. If it �s not useful for you, it may be useful for someone.

Have a nice Sunday.

20 Dec 2009      

danka.michalkova
Czech Republic

Could you tell me which worksheet are you speaking about? I like your worksheets a lot...

20 Dec 2009     

danka.michalkova
Czech Republic

Can you tell me where you vote for worksheets?

20 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Dear Silke:

You are among the most reliable and coherent moderators here so you are always amont the ones I quickly ask for help when there �s a tricky situation on the reporting page.

Even when we disagree on some points (rarely) I do respect your balanced opinion.

20 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@Danka:

If you have more than 1.000 points you become a moderator, so you have access to the reporting page and can vote the reported wss.

20 Dec 2009     

danka.michalkova
Czech Republic

I think I will have to work much harder:) Thank you very much - I am only a beginner but I love your worksheets and download them quite often:)
Have a nice evening!

20 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Editing because the thread is not in the correct order:

Dear Danka.michalkova:

I started this thread because it �s not a single fact, it �s been repeating from a certain time. I didn �t provide the link for the ws of mine because it has already been voted and the majority decided it should stay (so it �s safe for now - LOL) and I don �t want to advertize my work here, since I �m not concerned about points.

BTW, thanks for your kind words!

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank all the moderators who voted on the ws (not only mine, but others reported in the same "fast & irresponsible" way) to stay.

20 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@Danka:

Thank you, as you see wss there are considered useless for some are considered useful for others. If they are not infringing the rules, why to report them?

20 Dec 2009     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I �m a new member (been only here for a couple of months) and I looked at your ws which was "reported". And I don �t understand how someone could say that it �s not an esl resource!!! you explained clearly how to use it and how it could benefit your students.

I reported a couple of ws myself, mostly when - after looking at them - I saw that there were corrupted, written in an other language than english or when there was just a picture and no explanation.

I think we should make it a rule to explain in details how to use the ws we upload. a title and "have fun" or "hope it helps" is not enough, although I would never report a ws which would have no "explanation" if you see what I mean... Moreover, explaining how to use a ws and how it benefits our pupils shows that it �s a ws we worked on, not just copied and pasted from a website...

I �m not sure moderators can do anything about that but still it would be nice if everyone wrote at least one or two sentences to explain how to use their ws...

regards
Elodie

20 Dec 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

dear zilda, i think i was the one to report your ws but let me tell you that when i report ws and im not sure i specifically write a comment about why i am not sure if its or not an esl resource so other members can check it. i dont look at names cause i dont have anything against any member, when i saw your i reported it because i have seen many ws being removed because they have only lines even though they have an instruction like yours. what i dont understand is why it was removed since i remember all moderators voting in favor of staying. at least the ones who left a comment. i am sorry about any inconvinient this might have caused you but let me assure you that is nothing personal.

20 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@lizsantiago, it wasn �t removed as I stated in the previous post (and also thanked the moderators who voted against the removal).

What is an ESL resource for you? For me is something that makes ss improve their learning, maybe you have a different POV but I don �t have a clue on it.

I saw some moderators complaining that people are going too far and I have to agree with them. The difference with a ws and a template is that a template is empty, with no content for the downloader to fill the way he wants, and they don �t have place here.

If I ask students to fill a document with their personal info, they will use grammar (verb to be, to have, present, possessive, pronouns, etc) and vocabulary (parents, brothers, pets, and so on) they have learned, so it �s a way to collect their info and also a review.

I haven �t opened this thread because "my" ws was reported, since I prepared and uploaded here that was because I �m completely convinced it is an ESL resource and even if it doesn �t fit your pattern, it still is an ESL resource.

I opened this thread because it�s not a single case, several wss were reported as non-ESL resource without a clear reason - maybe the reporter didn �t like them, or had a bad day, who knows? The fact is that we have to be careful and responsible when reporting someone �s work. Read it as many times as possible before making your mind; download it if the preview is not that good or if the ws has several pages; ask other person �s advice via PM if you are not sure.

It doesn �t matter if the ws is mine or anybody else �s (and I have no idea why knowing it �s mine would make any difference...) - the fact is that we have to prevent leading others to a mistake, and check it many times if we have the time, if we don �t have, simply don �t report it, or send a PM to another person to do it for you.

20 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >