Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Looking for a word    

Looking for a word

anlu79
Germany

Looking for a word

Dear colleagues,

what do you call a football player who can play equally well with both legs/feet?

One of my students wants to do a presantation on a football player and he needs that word, so it would be great if someone could let me know.

Sorry, I know nothing about football. Tongue

Thanks

Andrea

21 Dec 2009      

LAMERCHE
Spain

Ambidexterity
ambidextrous sportsmen/footballers....

I have found this term here...

21 Dec 2009     

_babz
Canada

how about just an �agile � player

21 Dec 2009     

uppityblues
Germany

Lamerche got it: ambidextrous, and if he can play REALLY well with both legs, then he �s d*** talented, too!

21 Dec 2009     

suberoro
Austria

I don �t know the word, BUT ambidexterity is definitely "Seitigkeit" in German while you �re looking for the term "beidbeinig". So "beidseitig" is not used in football, there must be another word!

Funny, I used to be a football professional in Austria �s premier league for six years and before that I wrote my university thesis on "Seitigkeit im Sport". And NOW I �m an English teacher who doesn �t know that word. Who can help? Greetings, Robert

21 Dec 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Lamerche is right. It �s ambidextrous.

21 Dec 2009     

pepelie
United Kingdom

I have only ever heard "he can play with both feet.  Ambidextrous means "both hands".  Got me stumped as a native speaker.  Perhaps "he �s a versatile player".  I �ll keep thinking.

21 Dec 2009     

anlu79
Germany

Thanks for your many answers!

For the German speakers who asked me - the German word is �Beidf��ler � - I also heard this the first time in my life today!

I think I will tell him about the tearm ambidextrous, but advise him to just say that he can play equally well with both legs.

21 Dec 2009