Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hello, Dear Collegues!!! Happy Christmas and Marry New Year!!!    

Hello, Dear Collegues!!! Happy Christmas and Marry New Year!!!

vasina_vika
Ukraine

Hello, Dear Collegues!!! Happy Christmas and Marry New Year!!!

Can you help me with a piece of grammar. The rule says in exclamation What+a+countable noun! and there are phrases What a pitty! and What a shame! Does it mean pitty and shame are countable nouns?Thank you for youe help in advance.

24 Dec 2009      

Krolya
Belarus

Good evening! I �ve just read your message and decided to help you though I don �t know for sure. I guess it �s a kind of traditional usage, because these words are uncountable. Merry Xmas to you too!

24 Dec 2009     

maker1
Turkey

They are both uncountable nouns. � �a � � is used before uncountable nouns when an uncountable noun has an adjective in front of it � � a great sadness that engulfed the whole family � � or a phrase following it which is the case here. I hope I am not wrong otherwise it will be a great shame and I have had enough of it lately. Merry Christmass and  a happy new year.  

24 Dec 2009