Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > To put up with    

To put up with

refis24
United Kingdom

To put up with

Hi All,

I have asked for help on this category before, but when I have signed in to try and find the string of suggestions you all kindly sent me, I couldn �t locate them.

I have to teach � to put up with � as part of my assignment. My context was �I can �t put up with his smoking anymore � My teacher didn �t like this context as she said it is negative. Plus any CCQ suggestions would be appreciated Wink

I am racking my brains to think of a positive context for this, but I seem to keep thinking of negative ones!!

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance
refis24

28 Dec 2009      

Lana.
Ireland

I can �t put up with:

- his alcoholism

- his rude begavoiour

- his absenteeism

- being late every day

- this rainy weather

- this mess in the apartment/the mess he leaves

28 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

Here �s the old link:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=15094

Smile

28 Dec 2009     

rommaya
Egypt

you can tell a little story about how your child kept crying all night and how you weren �t able to sleep because of it but nevertheless you didn �t shout at her or get mad at her but instead you put up with her screaming and crying and you tried your best all night to calm her down.

ccqs:

did I shout at her? no
did I get angry and lose my temper? no
did I try to calm her down? yes
did I try to comfort her? yes

I used this when I tought phrasel verbs in my celta course and my tutors liked it.

It is the positive form, but hopefully it is a positive context too.

28 Dec 2009     

refis24
United Kingdom

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for your quick replies!!!

Rommaya, I think that you have given an excellent example that is positive and hopefully my teacher will feel the same way!!

This is what i have written so far.......

I would start the lesson off by telling a story about my baby.

�My baby kept crying last night. He was unable to settle.  I was also unable to sleep.  I went to my baby and gave her some milk, rocked him in my arms and tried to settle her down. I did not shout or get mad, but instead I put up with her screaming and crying and tried my best to get a good night�s sleep.

Whilst reading the story, I will use voice intonation on �put up with� to enable to ss to notice that I am stressing that phrasal verb.

Do you think it would be useful for me to ask them to give me an example of what they put up with? I need to make sure that they have understood the target language.

Thanks
Refiye

28 Dec 2009     

Sara5
Kuwait

If you want to be a scientist you have to put up with bad smell while doing experiments

28 Dec 2009