Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to make my student speak    

How to make my student speak

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

How to make my student speak

Hi, dear friends! i want to take this chance once again to thank all of you for all the work you are doing. Not only you are helping me out A LOT, also you are inspiring me to make my own teaching materials better.
Here �s my problem. I have a new student - 10 year old boy. I teach him one to one. That �s why it �s hard to make him speak. Although he has a nice vocabulary and understands grammar well for his age. Still he has a problem with starting speaking as i �m his only source of English. Today i tried guessing game with pictures that he had to explain to me for me to guess (like jobs and places). It went really well and he liked it. I see progress but i wanted to ask you if you have some tips that could also make him speak, not just repeat my sentences and structures that i give. I don �t have much of experience in this, i mostly used to teach groups.
Thanks in advance.

28 Dec 2009      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Well first of all, you should be glad that your student is able to repeat what you say, it means that he wants to work, which is good.
The most effective way to communicate is when there is a "lack of information" (sorry can �t find a better expression, I must be tired!): you have a piece of information he needs, and he has a piece of information you need.
For example, you want to speak about what you are going to watch this week on TV, you can create 2 ws, one for you, one for him, with different pieces of information on each WS
you can use this example, and delete some details in WS A and delete other details in WS B so that the two of you can have all the details at the end of the conversation.

Next week�s

TV Guide

7pm

7.30pm

8pm

8.30pm

9pm

9.30pm

Tuesday

Channel 4

Twilight � film

Twilight�s success � documentary

BBC Kids

Hannah Montana � series

Hannah Montana � series

Harry Potter and the Philosopher�s Stone � film

Sky 2

What�s up? � news

Lost � series

The Simpsons � cartoon

The Simpsons � cartoon

Wednesday

Channel 4

Friends � series

Friends � series

Desperate Housewives � series

Desperate Housewives � series

BBC Kids

Pokemon � cartoon

Pokemon � cartoon

Sponge Bob Square Pants, 4 episodes � cartoon

Dawson�s creek � series

Sky 2

Pop Idol � series

What�s up? � news

this is an extract from a WS (not yet on eslprintables) for 12-15 years old, you can change the details, use a real TV guide that is published in your country.

there �s also another way to improve your student �s speaking skills: use powerpoints, for my younger students it works well when there �s some funny images they have to describe, some game to play... use as many games as you can, it will make your lessons fun and he will forget about speaking for the sake of speaking and will only think about winning! But i �m sure you already know all that ;)

Good luck, I �m sure it will be fine!!! (in my classes I have 27 students, 15 of whom won �t speak in class unless it �s in French... I know it �s hard but it gets better ;) )

28 Dec 2009     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot.
I will work on your idea. I actually used one activity with missed information about family and professions. I �ll send it here soon. Then he didn �t quite get what i wanted for him (as we don �t have a common language to speak, only English). But i �m hoping to improve, i �m just really bad in imagining new stuff, i can only develop old ideas (bad for me, my brain really forgot how to think due to the recent delivery of my baby))))))))
I �ll certainly try games with describing pictures too.
Thanks a lot once again

28 Dec 2009