Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HAVE GOT AND HAVE    

HAVE GOT AND HAVE

nikigia
Greece

HAVE GOT AND HAVE

Hello everyone!  Can somebody tell me the difference between the verb   "have got"  and  the verb  "have" ?

29 Dec 2009      

lemarja3
Slovenia

The verb "have got" is used to express possession (eg. He �s got a sister.) and it is not used to express actons. We use the verb "have" to express possession and actions (eg. He has breakfast at 7 o �clock.). I think this is the main difference between the two verbs.

29 Dec 2009     

maker1
Turkey

� �have got � � present perfect tense and � �have � � is simple present and they indicate the same meaning only when we are talking about possession.

29 Dec 2009     

SaraMariam
United States

In school I have learned from an American teacher and we never got taught "have got", only after I have seen that other people that got taught by British teachers used have got, I came to the conclusion that "have got" is used in Britain and "have" in the US. From my british friends I hear questions like "Have you got ..." whereas my american friends use "do you have". But I may be wrong.

Maybe this articles helps you a bit more: http://www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish-central-grammar-have-v-have-got.htm

Hugs
Sara

29 Dec 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

sara is right in us we dont say she has got two sisters, we say she has 2 sisters.

29 Dec 2009     

Blackjack
Morocco

Hi..
Have got  is used to:
                           1- To say that sth belongs to someone
                           2-To talk about family relationships. e.g., I have got one brother
                           3-To describe people e.g., Nora has got blue eyes.
Have espresses possession and actions.You can check the dictionary for all the meanings of have.
I hope that I clarified the difference.

29 Dec 2009     

lemarja3
Slovenia

As far as I know "have" for possession is quite often used in GB too. Am I right?

29 Dec 2009     

nikigia
Greece

THANK YOU  all guys for helping me clarify the the difference! Have a great day!  Big smile

29 Dec 2009