Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What do you do?    

What do you do?

N.F.T
South Africa

What do you do?

Hi, just wondering if the teachers here all travel to their various countries of employment with all their files and papers and handouts etc?  How much work material should I be taking along with me?  I �ve been teaching in my home country for a year and have accumulated quite a library of handouts and lesson plans etc.  Should I be taking these all with me to China, considering that they will have to part of my hand luggage and subject to weight restrictions on international flights...or should I just rely on the internet when I arrive there and the stuff that I have saved to my hard-drive (with much thanks to the teachers on this site!)

1 Jan 2010      

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

When i left Russia, i left all my printed materials and flashcards and books there. Though i had some stuff scanned and a lot of worksheets with me saved on the Cds. I wouldn �t take all that with me as the teaching here differs from teaching there and not always my Russian materials can be used. Now i �m using a lot of wss from this site and create some stuff myself from what i have to adapt it for local use.

1 Jan 2010     

Sara5
Kuwait

Why don �t you save your ws, handout ......etc on usb

1 Jan 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hey, Firstly,  I �d like to say that it �s great you decided to teach in another country. It �s  going to be a great experience you won �t regret.
Of course, take your flash-drive but I guess there are some handouts or worksheets that you don �t have on your PC, so you should carefully look through them and choose those you will use for sure. Also, I think that as it will be another school and different groups you will be teaching, you will definitely need to start collecting new worksheets, so do not worry too much, in a few weeks after you start teaching you will have lots of folders with new materials.

Good luck and keep us updated about your adventures in China Big smile

1 Jan 2010     

crisholm
Spain

Buy an external disc and save everything you �ve got there.
Another option is uploading everything to a file-saving web (there are some which are free and absolutely private) as a safety measure - in case something goes wrong with your pen-drive. It �s also handy if you want to print out things from any place you are in.
Of course, all this depends on computer, printer and web access facilities. And a lot of previous scanning if you do not have them saved on your computer.
All of us have some �favourite � handouts to teach some aspects of language. If you have to choose, take these along. There is no point in dragging tons of paper along .
And anyway, a fresh start is always rewarding - some great books (Mimesis by Auerbach) were written without a library in sight.  Nakedness stimulates creativity. You �ll find out your students � needs when you are there. And if you need something, give us a call - we �ll help you for sure! (provided you tell us about this stimulating new experience!)
Good luck and a happy new year!
(By the way, your worksheets are really great - awesome! - Maybe the only problem you will face is cultural shock!)

2 Jan 2010     

izulia
China

Hi, I agree with those teachers who recommended you to save your files on the USB. However I would prefer to save my files on my laptop. I �d have brought it with me to China for the interview and shown my best files on the computer in case they have problems with colour printing. If you haven �t gotten one , then its easy and cheap to buy one once you �re in China.

China is a great country by the way, I have been working in here for few years and really like it.

Good luck and happy New Year!!!

2 Jan 2010