Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how to play dominoes..    

how to play dominoes..

MarionG
Netherlands

how to play dominoes..

OK, this might sound stupid but I really don �t know...
Often I find domino games on this site that have only one way of connecting to other domino �bricks �. (i.e. there is only one picture of a jacket and only once the word jacket appears). How do you play a game like that?
I know the version in which there are several combinations possible so students can connect to different places.
In case there is only one possibility it basically just turns into a long snake (loop) when all the �bricks � are finished. I have downloaded a few but always end up cutting them into pieces to use as a memory game.
Can someone explain to me how they use it in their class rooms?

3 Jan 2010      

silvanija
Lithuania

Hi Marion  Big smile

It depends on what you are goind to practice. If vocabulary, kids have to read/name the object that is on the initial tile and read/name the one they attach to it: a jacket and a T-shirt, a T-shirt and a dress... They can add colour words if you use coloured dominoes. You can ask them to say sentences to make it more difficult: "This is a T-shirt and these are trousers..." or "I was wearing a dress yesterday, but I am wearing trousers now".  Domino in English lessons is not only a game, it is usually meant to practice some structures/phrases you learn. Yes, it is always turns into a long or short snake LOL. It can also be given to check word rcognition when you have some spare minutes left.

I will write some more ideas later.

3 Jan 2010     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

There is a very good activity which can be played with domino cards and which my children love. It�s best if it�s played in the corridor or in a big classroom. Divide the class into two teams. They stand in a row. Put two sets of  mixed domino cards on two desks which are let�s say about five metres far from the two teams. Each team has got one desk with their own set of cards. Put the first domino cards in front of each team. When you say "start",the first pupil of each team runs to the desk and chooses the right card, which goes with the first card and he goes to the end of the row, then the second pupil starts running, etc. The team that finishes first, is the winner. I hope I explained it clearly, because it�s really worth trying. It�s a great fun.

3 Jan 2010     

_babz
Canada

Frankly...I don �t see how dominos, including martinasvabova �s game, can be used in an ESL lesson...

if you �re just playing dominos to have fun...that �s an entire different reason...otherwise, I just don �t see it....it �s like tic-tac-toe, memory games..or seven-up......great games, but do they teach anything  ---you �re not learning any vocabulary

the only way I see a use...is if you helping a kid count in English.... (but how would that work in a class of 30)

anyway - for those that use them - that �s great - but I just think you should step back, and assess if these kids are in fact, learning something Pinch

cause there are other games like bingo, guess who, scrabble

cheers

3 Jan 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thanks for your replies! Silvanija, I �m happy to see that also in your experience it always turns out to be a snake...I was afraid I was doing something wrong...Martina, that is a great idea to enter a game element into the �one option only � domino! I understood correctly and every team (I might need more than two teams) needs a whole set of their own? To be honest I am afraid it might be a bit too rowdy for my already �discipline challenged � class but i suppose it might be fun for the last 15 minutes of a class or so...

3 Jan 2010