Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > hello everyone    

hello everyone

TURKISH CYPRIOT
Turkey

hello everyone

I would like to hear from you about how you teach the passive voice to your

students. I am teaching to pre-intermediate level students (aged between 17 and

25) at the Eastern Mediterranean University English Prep School in Turkish Republic

of Northern Cyprus.

I wish everybody a better, healthier and a more successful year

3 Jan 2010      

puddyd
Oman

Just quickly, b4 I go to put my daughter to bed.
I usually walk around  in the classroom and drop my boardpen.I make a fuss about how silly and clumsy I am and then elicit from the class what I did.I then write it on the board:
 Ms Andrea dropped her pen.
 I then make sure they are aware of  WHO and WHAT, so they can distinguish between the two - Subject and Object.
I then write on the board: The pen.............................. and  get the ss to complete the sentence.I then get the ss to verbalise it in a guided way by saying: Ali answered the question correctly....and then say The question ........................pick a ss to complete and then let them try with some random action of a ss , which they pick out , so all have to be on guard, eg: Salah wrote the sentence into his book, the sentence was written...., blah blah.
Then give them the formula
Subject + v + obj = Active
Obj + V3 + subject [by] =passive
Good luck ;o)

3 Jan 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

Dear friend turkish cypriot
The Eastern Mediterranean University English Prep School is in the occupied piece of  Republic of Cyprus.

To others members: There isn �t a country in the world named  "Republic of Northern Cyprus".
And please don �t answer back that this is not a political site...

3 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

With teenagers it �s fun to use detective situations for passive. You describe a crime in the passive tense (all the things that were taken, destroyed, happened, etc.) and then you provide several suspects with their statements or simple portfolios, and based on the facts provided by you, they guess the criminal. Afterwards you can have them write descriptions of a crime themselves and providing suspects. It �s like a game, but demands lots of reading and writing in the passive.
What my sts also like is choosing certain objects we use daily and then writing how they are used now, how they were used in the past, and how they predict it will be used in the future. It �s loads of grammar and vocabulary, but it �s fun, because it makes them think about the stuff they use nowadays and take for granted (e. g. cell phones, pcs, the microvawe, aeroplanes), and how people used them (or even if they had them) before. You �ll get real pearls of wisdom when they start predicting how these will be used and changed in the future. E. g. Today, cell phones are used for everyday communication. Fifty years ago ordinary phones with numerals were used, and payphones were used as well. In a hundred years time, phones will probably be made much smaller and placed in our ears, activated on voice command and equipped with instant holographic display. And so on.

3 Jan 2010     

niacouto
Portugal

Hi turkish cypriot,

I suppose you can use recent news from English newspapers. I �ve used some with adult students some years ago and it worked fine.

HugsHug
Nat�lia

3 Jan 2010     

TURKISH CYPRIOT
Turkey

Dear Vardaki, I am sure that our teachers using this website will just ignore your patriot(ic) behaviour.

We are here to care and share. Do not be aggressive and rude to your colleagues because this website is not for

such people I believe....

4 Jan 2010