Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help: Year 2010.... How can it be read?     

Help: Year 2010.... How can it be read?

acs72ribeiro
Portugal

Help: Year 2010.... How can it be read?

Two thousand and ten or twenty ten? Which way is correct or both are. 

4 Jan 2010      

zailda
Brazil

Both are correct, the second sounds more natural for me.

4 Jan 2010     

dennismychina
China

I�d say it�s the formal and informal way of saying it. As in written and spoken language. Twenty ten does roll of the tongue a lot better though, doesn�t it?

Enjoy.

4 Jan 2010     

burp001
Canada

just a guess but the year 1999 can be read nineteen ninety nine which is somewhat of a contraction of nineteen hundred ninety nine while the year 2010 can not be read as twenty hundred ten. This suggests to me that two thousand ten is the formally correct answer while twenty ten is indeed understandable and in use. The danger lies in the years 2001 to 2009. For example the year 2009 when read twenty nine is actually the number 29... 

4 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I �d say twenty oh nine

4 Jan 2010     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

You should teach it as two thousand and ten.

two thousand and ten is and always will be the correct way to pronounce it and should always be encouraged in the classroom. Saying twenty and ten is slang and should be taught as such.

take the case: I always say "Excuse me?" in the classroom but I can say "Huh?" to my friends.

4 Jan 2010     

lyny
Mexico

2009 two thousand nine, 2010 two thousand ten - That is the way I learned it

If I �m wrong I �d like to know it

4 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

I talked to an American and two Englishmen. They prefer two thousand ten. One of them said twenty ten. So both variants are possible now. In the future we will see which variant wil be the most popular. Happy 2010!

4 Jan 2010     

eng789
Israel

I thought-   2 thousand and ten but then I was watching FOX news and they said -
twenty-ten.
I will tell my pupils that both are acceptable.

Have a great 2010 everyone - no matter how you say it. Approve

4 Jan 2010     

frenchfrog
France

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010s

4 Jan 2010     

Aurore
France

I �ve just got back from England and both amongst friends, on the TV and radio news almost everyone  is saying "two thousand and ten" and yet when speaking about the Olympic games in London I �ve often heard "the twenty twelve games". So it might well change. Keep your ears open and have a great year.

4 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >