Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > elementary vs intermediate     

elementary vs intermediate

donapeter
Romania

elementary vs intermediate

I always think twice when i choose the level of a ws. I have seen here wss that belong to the intermediate level, but I consider them elementary and, of course, the other way round. 
Can, for example, a Present Perfect ws be elementary? I saw P Perfect elementary and P P intermediate- the content has the same degree of difficulty. 
It is a pity when searching such worksheets and finding only a few, but in fact there are more having the wrong level. 

4 Jan 2010      

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I think the level is not divided the same way all over the world. At my school we teach present, past and future (simple forms) at the elementary level; pres. perfect, past perfect, past continuous and some modals at the intermediate level and the rest of the English Grammar at the advanced and mastering courses.

But every school or country has its own divisions, so it �s easier to find what you want searching by subject instead of by levels.

4 Jan 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Zailda is right the level are named and seen differently in different countries. It also depends on whether you are teaching English, English for speakers of other languages, English as a second language, English as an additional language and English as a Foreign language etc. These have pedagogical implications in themselve. Different accreditation systems are used that also lead to diferent level system. There is a European equivalence system for different qualifications so the whole area is very complicated. In the system used on ESLprintables in theory there should be at least 7 levels eg starter , beginner, elementary, pre-intermediate, Intermediate, Upper-intermediate and Advanced.  With 3 choices it is even more difficult to place a particular piece of material. In relation to your specific example(taking account of the system we use and the curriculum) we would not teach present perfect at Elementary level. I would have to look through Headways or such book but I don �t think at elementary level it includes present perfect.

4 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

When talking about a foreign language....I think we should have almost the same divisions. 

4 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I wonder if there �s a conversion table (as we have from feet to meters) on English levels with the correspondance among all countries. Or at least a table showing what each level in every country or region is about. It would be very useful.

4 Jan 2010     

customer
Italy

Hi everybody,
in Europe we have a Common Framework, where the different levels (A1, A2 etc.) are described in terms of language competence (what you can "do" using the language). This helps to understand each other better...

4 Jan 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Here is a conversion table of sorts.

4 Jan 2010     

danka.michalkova
Czech Republic

If you check books - some of them have Present Perfect in Elementary Level - New Headway or New Opportunities. We usually teach Present Simple, Continuous, will, going to, Past Simple and Present Perfect in Elementary level. Then we have Pre-intermediate level and we teach Past Continous, Present Perfect Continuous and Passive tense there and Intermediate - Past Perfect and Indirect Speech but it depends on vocabulary sometimes, I think. But if you want to use something, you have to check if it is convenient for your students...

4 Jan 2010