Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Greek National Health Service    

Greek National Health Service

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Greek National Health Service

Hi dear friends
I would appreciate if someone could give me a hand.  I am translating a text about Greek National Health service, for a friend of mine, who is a nurse.
Can you explain me what do you think this sentence refers to?

?????  " out-of-pocket payments "  ?????

" Out-of-pocket payments in Greece take the following forms:
1. co-payment for health care services covered by the statutory system
2. official private payments, including payments to private physicians, private diagnostic centers....
3. and unofficial, or under-the-table payments, ...."

I know the words, but I don �t get the meaning, if any of you has �t  done something good yet, today, well, it is your chance.  Thumbs Up

Thanks
linda

5 Jan 2010      

monchis
Mexico

well, I don�t know the meaning either, but it�s sounds to me like an extra payment you receive such as health care service.
e.g. here some companies give food tickets, gas tickets or tickets which you can use in supermarkets; other companies give special health care or health insurances to their employers.
mmm, I think they refer to that kind of payment.
I�m not sure if this is right, so I hope somebody clear this out for both of us..Smile

5 Jan 2010     

aquarius_gr
Greece

pm me the original part of the text and I �ll tell you .

5 Jan 2010     

serene
Greece

Hi Linda,
I think out-of-pocket means private in this context. Here is an explanation I found in Wikipedia and I think it is correct.
In the health care financing sector, this (out-of-pocket) represents the share of the expenses that the patient or the family pay directly to the health care provider, without a third-party (insurer, or state).
Hope it helps.
Regards
serene

5 Jan 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Monchis, Aquarius and Serene

Thanks a lot, I think you are right, Serene; as I read further I began to understand what it was all about and I agree with you, it makes sense. A part may be paid by subsidies from the state budget or social insurance and, sometimes, the person also has to pay his/her own share. That is the part that definitely goes out-of-my-pocket. LOL

Thanks friends
Have a nice week
Linda

5 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

All "out of pocket"means is that you have to pay for the service or part of the services. It �s actually quite standard in some health care plans.

5 Jan 2010     

douglas
United States

They appear to be referiing to payments made by the patient and not the insurance company.

1.  "copayments" are where the patient pays a part of the expense himself/herself
2. "official private payments, including payments to private physicians, private diagnostic centers...."  private doctors, etc often offer "better" services for an extra fee that the insurance companies won �t pay, so the (prvate) patient pays for it himself/herself.
 3. "under the table payments" are made to the doctor, but not reported (usually to prevent having to pay taxes on the money)

So, the patient makes a payment "out of their own pocket"

5 Jan 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Linda, Hi Douglas

Thanks for your help, my friends.
linda

5 Jan 2010     

monchis
Mexico

Hi everyone,
mmm I guess I was wrong, but fortunatelly I�ve learned something new today... THANKS!

5 Jan 2010     

niacouto
Portugal

Hi Linda,

I suppose that in Portuguese it is "comparticipa��o". As in Portugal the state or any healthcare subsystem pay for part of the service and you pay a certain amount of money due to the user of the service.
Hope it helps.
Hugs Hug
Nat�lia

5 Jan 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi monchis, Hi Nat�lia

Thanks to everyone of you I found my way out; yes, Nat�lia, I think you are right, "comparticipa��o" was the word I decided for the translation; in fact, it was not that difficult if I had read everything before starting asking questions, but I was in a hurry, my friend wanted this translation for YESTERDAY, see what I mean?
Thanks a lot, with friends like you my works gets easier and easier, everyday.
Hugs Hug
linda

6 Jan 2010