Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teacher ENGLISH to students who speak only Farsi    

Teacher ENGLISH to students who speak only Farsi

DOCHJH
United States

Teacher ENGLISH to students who speak only Farsi

I teach ESL to women who live in a protective shelter.  Up to now, I�ve only had Spanish speaking, but today I have a new student who speaks only FARSI.  Not knowing any FARSI myself, this presents a challenge.  Anyone out there have ideas?
Thanks so much!

20 Sep 2008      

my nice class
Iran

Hi there. Why don�t you think about teaching ESL in English?! You can have all the class time teaching English in English; it may of course seem to be so challenging for students at first, however, the outcome is wonderful. It just needs more of your attention not to let them speak in their mother tongue (whatever it is), your body language and gestures in lower levels and your rewarding them for producing English. It really works!
Good luck, bye.
Ehsan  

20 Sep 2008     

DOCHJH
United States

Thank you Ehsan--I do of course do that, but when we reach a stalemate, I can always use a few key words in Spanish to get us back on track--but I don�t have anything in Farsi.
I give them handouts in English/spanish for homework, but I can�t do that in Farsi.
These are adult learners and they must �learn� on their own in real life situations so I try to give them the �cheat sheets� to help when I�m not there.
Thanks so much for the reply!  I just found this wonderful website, so I must convert more of my worksheets to upload~

23 Sep 2008