Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching through movies    

Teaching through movies

sorji
Tunisia

Teaching through movies

Hi everyone,
Today my students have asked me to vary the activities because the grammar bores them.They suggested watching and working on a movie for example.But the nub of the problem is that I have no movies to cater for their needs.I really would like you to provide me with some useful movie lesson plans.I �ll be grateful.My students have been learning English for two years now, they are still beginners.
Thanks

6 Jan 2010      

lotas
Spain

Hi Sorji,
I uploaded a worksheet to work with the Prologue of the Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - (video-session to watch on youtube - 8:36 ) which is a good introduction to the passive voice. For me it is just a classic when passive voice is in the unit!
I hope it is useful for you too.

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=235240#thetop

6 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

There are soooooooooooooooo many movie worksheets available here. Just go to the search engine and type in movies. Many of us make movie worksheets and lesson plans. I know that when I needed sth I didn �t have, I found so many of them here that I really had to check the previews and read the descriptions to make sure I got the right level and structure I needed. When it comes to movies, ESL is like a wonderful toy store at Christmas... Just check it. If you already know which movies are available to you, you can check using the title of the movie in the search. Best of luck.
PS: If you have the possibility to use the internet in classrooms, here�s a link to some excellent movie clips our colleague Damir suggested here last year, and I find the whole site absolutely useful, fun and efficient and so do my sts. Don�t just glance at this first page, use the site a bit more and you�ll see a whole toolbar on your right with the list of clips organised as English lessons to help you with grammar and vocabulary points.
Damir�s movie site about the world

http://www.travelbtm.com/apps/videos/channels/show/447948-our-world-in-movies-

6 Jan 2010     

mmargalef
Spain

Try this site:
http://moviesegmentstoassessgrammargoals.blogspot.com/ there are movie segments with worksheets for beginner-elementary students.
Hope it helps

6 Jan 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

It really depends on how old your pupils are.

If they are teenagers (13-18), Twilight or other teen movies like this one (Harry Potter...) will do fine.
If they are older than 16, you can use movies/documentaries with a theme dealing with history (Amistad = slavery, Romeo + Juliet = Shakespeare, Mona Lisa �s Smile = the role of women in the US society of the 50s...)
If your pupils are under 11, why don �t you try a Disney movie, or Charlie and the chocolate factory (adjectives, description...), or you also have Hayao Miyazaki who does very nice animated movies.
Just remember that they will get bored if it �s too long, so you �d better select a few scenes rather than watch the whole film...
I agree with Anitarobi: there are so many movie ws available, i �m sure i �ll find what you need!!
Elodie

6 Jan 2010     

Nines Picado
Spain

In Film eduation there are a lot of resources which include film clips, Teachers � Notes and a range of activities
Nines

6 Jan 2010     

Fulyaa
Turkey

I have recently showed "Radio" in the class in 6 class periods over 3 weeks.

It is age and language appropriate. You can teach adjectives, any of the tenses or even introduce the topic of citizenship.

6 Jan 2010