Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Some/any    

Some/any

Kriszta2009
Hungary

Some/any

Dear Colleagues,

Do I always have to use some/any before plural nouns or uncountable nouns?

or  Are these sentences also correct without them?

Which sentence is the correct?

There are some tomatoes in the fridge. or  There are tomatoes in the fridge.

Is there any bread? or  Is there bread?

Thanks in advance,

Kriszta

6 Jan 2010      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Hi, Kriszta.

There are some potatoes in the fridge.
and
Is there any bread?
are right.

Regards, Michaela

6 Jan 2010     

helena2009
Hungary

Check this:

http://www.englishforums.com/English/ProblemArentAny/zqmnr/post.htm

Helena

Countable singulars. 

There is a chair in the kitchen.  There is some chair in the kitchen.   There is any chair in the kitchen.

There isn�t a chair in the kitchen.  There isn�t any chair in the kitchen  There isn�t some chair in the kitchen.

Is there a chair in the kitchen?  Is there any chair in the kitchen?   Is there some chair in the kitchen?

Isn�t there a chair in the kitchen?  Isn�t there any chair in the kitchen?   Isn�t there some chair in the kitchen?

Countable plurals. 

There are chairs in the kitchen.  There are some chairs in the kitchen.  There are any chairs in the kitchen.

There aren�t chairs in the kitchen.  There aren�t any chairs in the kitchen.  There aren�t some chairs in the kitchen.

Are there chairs in the kitchen?  Are there any chairs in the kitchen?  Are there some chairs in the kitchen?

Aren�t there chairs in the kitchen?  Aren�t there any chairs in the kitchen?  Aren�t there some chairs in the kitchen?

Uncountables.  Note the similarity of the patterns below with the patterns for countable plurals above.

There is milk in the glass.  There is some milk in the glass.  There is any milk in the glass.

There isn�t milk in the glass.  There isn�t any milk in the glass.  There isn�t some milk in the glass.

Is there milk in the glass?  Is there any milk in the glass?  Is there some milk in the glass?

Isn�t there milk in the glass?  Isn�t there any milk in the glass?  Isn�t there some milk in the glass?

_________

When the question is about a countable singular, the negative answer is typically in the plural:

Is there a chair in the kitchen?  Yes, there is a chair in the kitchen.

Is there a chair in the kitchen?  No, there aren�t any chairs in the kitchen.

6 Jan 2010     

akuzmenok
Ukraine

The answer is quite simple - you can use both, but with a difference in meaning. If you mean �part of it �, �a definite amount �, then some is obligatory before the plural countables or singular uncountables. If you simply name the object, saying it �s this kind, but not that one, then some or any are not used.

6 Jan 2010     

Kriszta2009
Hungary

Thank you so much!!!
It �s clearer now.

6 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi Krizsta,

It �s not necessary to place a "some or any" with (un)countable nouns. And it really has no big change in meaning.

"Is there bread in the house?" Would be the same thing as "Is there any bread in the house?" - The speaker wants to know if there is bread of any kind or quantity in the house.

"Yes, there �s (some) bread in the kitchen." - speaker means there is bread in the kitchen, some might be used to specify there �s a small amount BUT this doesn �t have to be the case.

6 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

One additional fine point, Krizsta:

In the US, at least, with a question, we use "some" if we are expecting a positive answer, and "any" if we are expecting a negative answer or have no expectation. "Do we have some bread?" is a hopeful question. "Do we have any bread?" is neutral or not hopeful.

In a negative question, "Isn �t there any milk in the glass?" indicates some disappointment at learning this. "Isn �t there some milk in the glass?" shows that the speaker really thinks that there is some, and is suggesting this by the wording of the question. If you tell me there isn �t any milk in our house, and I saw some in a glass earlier, I might ask, "Isn �t there some in a glass in the refrigerator?" I use "some" because I am expecting a positive answer.

If you told me that my wife bought an expensive new dress, when she comes home I would ask her, "Do you have something to tell me?" or "Did you buy something today?". If I just know that she has been shopping, but no more information, I would ask, "Did you buy anything today?"

I hope these details are useful.

Bruce

6 Jan 2010     

kadiryla
Turkey

Dear, yanogator
I am really imprresed about your explanations, thank you very much. be sure, I have already typed your personal info and i may ask you some questions about spoken English especially in the future

6 Jan 2010