Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HAPPY TO NEW YEAR - HOPE YOU LIKE THIS SHORT STORY :)    

HAPPY TO NEW YEAR - HOPE YOU LIKE THIS SHORT STORY :)

Sara Almeida
Portugal

HAPPY TO NEW YEAR - HOPE YOU LIKE THIS SHORT STORY :)

Hope you start the New Year well, and that 2010 will be better than what you dreamed of
... AND that you�ll be laughing your way through 2010.  To help you on that, see below. 

Tongue

One day, when a seamstress was sewing while sitting close to a river, her thimble fell into the river. When she cried out, the Lord appeared and asked, �My dear child, why are you crying? � The seamstress replied that her thimble had fallen into the water and that she needed it to help her husband in making a living for their family.

The Lord dipped His hand into the water and pulled up a golden thimble set with sapphires..

�Is this your thimble? � the Lord asked.
The seamstress replied, �No. �
The Lord again dipped into the river. He held out a golden thimble studded with rubies.

�Is this your thimble? � the Lord asked.

Again, the seamstress replied, �No. �
The Lord reached down again and came up with a leather thimble.

�Is this your thimble ? � the Lord asked.

The seamstress replied, �Yes. �

The Lord was pleased with the woman �s honesty and gave her all three thimbles to keep, and the seamstress went home happy.
Some years later, the seamstress was walking with her husband along the riverbank. Unfortunately, her husband fell into the river and disappeared under the water.

When she cried out, the Lord again appeared and asked her, �Why are you crying? �
  �Oh Lord, my husband has fallen into the river! �
The Lord went down into the water and came up with George Clooney.

�Is this your husband? � the Lord asked..
�Yes, � cried the seamstress.
The Lord was furious. �You lied! That is an untruth! �
The seamstress replied, �Oh, forgive me, my Lord. It is a misunderstanding. You see, if I had said �no � to George Clooney, you would have come up with Brad Pitt.

Then if I said �no � to him, you would have come up with my husband. Had I then said �yes, � you would have given me all three. Lord, I �m not in the best of health and would not be able to take care of all three husbands, so THAT �S why I said �yes � to George Clooney..

And so the Lord let her keep him.
The moral of this story is:
 Whenever a woman lies, it �s for a good and honorable reason, and in the best interest of others. That �s our story, and we �re sticking to it.

Signed,
All Us Women

Clap

6 Jan 2010      

veljaca82
Australia

GREAT ONE!

HAPPY NEW 2010 TO YOU TOO!

6 Jan 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

LOL  How true and funny! Thank you for making us smile!

6 Jan 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Great story!!!Thumbs Up

Happy New Year !!!

6 Jan 2010     

maria martins
Portugal

That�s very funny and true, too :)

Happy New year!

6 Jan 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Sara

YOU MADE MY DAY.

I wonder, ..... couldn �t she have stopped at the second?
I mean,
George Clooney, and Brad Pitt, all together, in a bunch, just imagine.Approve
Thanks for bringing such a stimulating story, I �m in a hurry, I don �t know where I can get some of those
thimbles

Thumbs Up  Hug

linda
Hug

7 Jan 2010     

Huguette
Martinique

I can �t help but laugh ! thank you for this wonderful story !

7 Jan 2010     

ebrahmi
Tunisia

Very funny, but would you do likewise if your husband drowned in a river?

7 Jan 2010     

libertybelle
United States

ebrahmi - it �s a joke.

7 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

@Ebrahmi - I would have said the same!!! ( But...I hope Lord had as first choice someone much younger-:)) )

7 Jan 2010