Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can i resurrect an overwritten file?    

can i resurrect an overwritten file?

into_it
Thailand

can i resurrect an overwritten file?

i know it sounds stupid but i did overwrite a file which is my class record. it happened when i opened my excel and there was s prompt of a "recovered" file and an "original" file asking me which one to save. 
thinking that the recovered file was a recent file which i havent saved correctly, i immediately renamed it using the filename of my class record (which is also the name of my "original file"). of course it prompted me if i was to overwrite a spreadsheet with the same filename and i clicked yes. i was surprised to see that the "recovered" file was not at all recent, in fact it was an old version/copy of my class record file. my students said they already threw away/lost their sheets and tests. 
do u think that my case is hopeless and i cannot bring the overwritten file back? 
thanks for your help and answers. 

7 Jan 2010      

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

As far as I know it �s hopeless.

All the saved information on a computer is either a 1 or a 0, usually when you delete something all the 1s and 0s in that order are put aside as something which can be written over, so you can sometimes get them back if they haven �t been written over yet. But if you write (save) over it all the 1s and 0s have changed, and the computer won �t remember what way they used to be.

7 Jan 2010