Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > a question concerning copyright    

a question concerning copyright

carolla
Poland

a question concerning copyright

Hi everyone,

I need your advice on some copyright laws on eslprintables. I want to do this right, not breaking any rules.

As the Director of Studies, I was asked to prepare a booklet with worksheets to be used throughout the courses and I was hoping to include some of the wonderful ws I have found here. It is going to be used exclusively in the classroom but it �s supposed to be a kind of exercise book prepared in advance. 

Hence my question- what �s with copyright in such a situation? Should I ask the authors for consent? Is it allowed at all? Please help.

carolla

7 Jan 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

NOt sure legally how it works, but you should definitely ask the author �s consent, use their name and copyright labels, and I guess it �s OK. People aren �t selfish, they just work too much to make good wss to just give it away to sb who intends to profit from it and sign his own name underneath. But perhaps your question would best be directed at Victor, since he �s the one trying to keep order here.

7 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I imagine it is alright as long as you at no point try to sell it or make money from it, and as long as you include at the start of the worksheet a link to ESL printables.

What does everyone else think?

7 Jan 2010     

dennismychina
China

I don�t think it necessary to get permission from each member for their work you download. However, somewhere in the booklet, I would print something like, �All material used in this booklet have copyrights, which are owned by the original creators. This booklet is to be used for personal use only and may not be copied, modified, transmitted, sold or published in any form�.

Enjoy.

7 Jan 2010     

malice6
Poland

I agree with all of you. I like the idea of dennismychina of what exactly should be written. And I think it should be written on every single sheet, so that your learners or whoever is going to get the booklet is aware that they can �t use it as their own later.

Powodzenia carolla :)

7 Jan 2010     

akuzmenok
Ukraine

I think it is impossible to ask the owners for the right to publish, as it is very difficult to find them. For example, if I change the name of the ws, and the worksheet has been made using picture implant technique on a doc page, it is impossible to find the owner even if I use the search engine. Even if I wanted to do it, I would not be able to do it.
Secondly, if teachers voluntered to publish the ws on this site, they knew many others would like to use them later. However it would be disgraceful to make money on publishing them, (as it has already been discussed before), but it would be OK to let others know how teachers can work and what results they can reach.
Thirdly, I think the only way out is to put the name of the owner on every page, or some kind of mark. But the owners of their ws must put these marks themselves, thus letting the ws be used in class.
Fourthly, if it is impossible to do it (and it is highly impossible to correct what has already been done), the author of a booklet should make reference to the site where these ws have been taken. That is www.eslprintables.com 
If the author wants to make money on it, I think all the contributors must have a share, of which the moderators have to think of a way out.

7 Jan 2010     

carolla
Poland

making money on this booklet is out of question. This is just a set of the printbles that you �re gonna be using during the course. It �s exactly the same as giving them the same ws but day after day, on every lesson. It �s a part of the course fee and we �re not intending to charge extra for the booklet.

I think I like dennismychina �s idea and that would be what I �ll be going for. And I guess it would be impossible to find the author. Also, eslprintables is not going to be the sole source of the materials, as I mentioned before I �m just considering to put SOME handouts taken from this site.

I think I �ll still pm Victor, to be on the safe site. But thank you all for taking the time to comment.

Dzieki malice6, Tobie rowniez powodzenia :)

carolla

7 Jan 2010