Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Phrasal verbs learning!    

Phrasal verbs learning!

lovinglondon
Spain

Phrasal verbs learning!

Hi dear colleagues!! How were your holidays??? Mine were really amazing �cause I really enjoyed my time with my two little children! Oh, I miss those days a lot!!! Today I �ve come back to work... sniff...sniff Cry and doubts have invaded me again about how to teach phrasal verbs to my 18-year-old students. How do you teach phrasal verbs? What are the best way and method? I must teach them phrasal verbs related to relationships and I want to try another mehod different from studying them (almost by heart) because at the end they forget all verbs.
I would really appreciate your help.
I send you a really big big big hug from rainy Spain....This is so sad!!!

7 Jan 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

HI and welcome back!
I have the same problem with phrasal verbs for kids 16-18. I find repetition helps, so I have been using many wss from ESL, and since every ws has a different design and approach, I find it helps. I have also made cards, like memory cards, so I make them play memory games but we don �t look for the same two cards - we look for a phrasal verb and its synonym phrase. E.g. turn down - say no to; cut down on - reduce, etc. It helps, but they have to play it more than once. What also helps (the amazing thing about human brain) is when I give them sentences with mistakes - I write down the wrong preposition in the verb, and they play teacher and correct it - it �s really useful, but you have to ask them to use the correct verbs in their own sentences afterwards, so they wouldn �t visually memorize the wrong ones. It �s also good to rpovide them or have them create their own list of songs, movie and book titles they know and then find in them those which contain phrasal verbs. Maps are also good - you know, writing GET in the middle and then adding all its phrasal verbs around like tree branches. But you need context, sentences, again. It also helps if you have them use phrasal verbs topically - e. g. provide a list of all kinds of phrasal verbs and have them work in pairs - " sts have to use as many as they can in sentences about crime, " about food, 2 about travelling, etc.

7 Jan 2010     

lovinglondon
Spain

Thank you anitarobi!! I �ve got plenty of ideas from you!! I like the one about the memory cards. I think I will do it next day with them.
Thank you again.
If the rest of members can say any other idea they will be more than welcome!

7 Jan 2010     

maoopa
China

Hi Lovinglondon;

Good to see you back.

For phrasal verbs I have tried making a wall with some (not too many) idioms and phrasal verbs and their deffinitions. Everytime a student includes one of them in their discourse (oral or witten), I reward him/her. We also make hang man games and crosswords using the same idioms and phrasals... in other words we make them part of our everyday without devoting a whole clase to them. At the end, learners like finding those in a test because it makes them feel confident.

This year we are making videos at xtranormal.com and evaluate if the use of the words in each video is correct or not. It �s lots of fun!

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Mauro

7 Jan 2010     

tubisch011
Turkey

Hi lovinglondon,
Well, I have the same problem with my students too. We have a phrasal verb box. Everyday we pick up one small paper where the prasal verb,its definiton and an example sentence is written and each student reads the phrasal verb and definiton loudly in the class and forms a sentence with it. My class is a language class they will attend the university exam in which 80 English questions are asked and there are about 5 questions on phrasal verbs.
And our name of the box is: " One phrasal verb a day, keeps the vocabulary mistakes away!" My students liked this, I hope it will also have at least small contributions to yours..
Sincerly,
Tugba

7 Jan 2010     

gabitza
Romania

Hi Eva,

To teach phrasal verbs connected to relationships I used a story (part one taken from Teacher �s Guide Shapshot Intemediate, part two - made up) about a boy who falls in love with his girlfriend �s sister.
The text contained some phrasal verbs. I printed some big word cards and laminated them. I asked the Ss to sit back, relax and listen to the story. As I was reading, I was pausing a bit at the phrasal verb while putting the respective word card up on the board. Ss listened & watched the cards appear. At the second listening I turned the cards over (the meaning was printed on the back). At the third listening, I paused every time I got to a phrasal vb. and elicited it from the class - if they were right I turned it over again - if they weren �t I helped a bit.
Then I asked a student to re-tell the story to the class while looking at the cards (as clues). I repeated this last procedure with more Ss but I removed 2-3 cards every time they re-told the story, so in the end, Ss were able to re-tell the story without the cards. Finally, I made them work in groups of three and write down the story, then compare it to the original.

Here are the 2 texts. I used them in 2 different classes (periods).

TODD AND SOPHIE

Part one

( verb phrases � relationships)

Todd and Sophie first started going out with each other last summer. They got together at her sister�s birthday party. They�ve been together for 6 months now. At first, they got on extremely well but soon some of Todd�s habits started to get on Sophie�s nerves � he played computer games all the time and it nearly drove her mad. In the end, every time they met, they ended up arguing with each other. Now they�ve finally broken up and Todd is going out with Sophie�s sister!

Todd and Sophie

Part two � phrasal �go�

Todd started going out with Ruth, Sophie�s sister, after he broke up with Sophie. They managed to keep the secret about their relationship for a while. They went on lying to Sophie until the day before their wedding. That day Todd dropped by the house. He wanted to go over the last details of the ceremony with Ruth. Sophie was out, shopping. She heard prices had gone down and she wanted to buy some new furniture in the house. When she returned, she saw them kissing and realized what was going on. She broke into tears and shouted at them to go away and leave her alone. She never wanted to see any of them again! She went in her room and slammed the door. Ruth asked Todd to leave, so she could talk to Sophie and make up with her. Todd left thinking he should go back and talk to Sophie. In fact, she was going to be his sister-in-law the very next day!

Hugs,
Gabitza

7 Jan 2010     

lovinglondon
Spain

HEy!!! Thank you to all of you!!!!! Your ideas are really appreciated and helpful!!!!!!!! THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

7 Jan 2010     

teresaraiva
Portugal

Wow

Precious tips here!

I am always learning.

Thank you

7 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I can �t remember where I read this idea, so sorry if I �m stealing it, but you can play phrasal verbs tic tac toe on the board whenever you have 5 minutes left over at the end of class.

You divide the class in to two teams, x and o, and choose a verb, eg. "Put"
The students have to then come up with the particles and say the meaning of them, at higher levels don �t allow litteral meanings.

So for example X say "Put Down, It �s when you place something on a for example desk, or when you insult a person, you put them down."
And you tell them they are correct and ask them where they would like their symbol.
Each team tries to get three in a row as is usual with tic tac toe ;)

7 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I was also going to comment here as I �ve saved in a word document all this brilliant tips and ideas to work with phrasal verbs!
Thank you!

7 Jan 2010